Keeping corny kegs cold

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Keeping corny kegs cold

Post by m_rawdin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:19 pm

I was wondering how people generally keep their corny kegs cold if they don't use a fridge. I have a fridge to keep my kegs in in the garage but want to move the keg(s) into the house from time to time for parties etc. It would be ideal if there was something similar to a heat belt that did the opposite and kept things cool.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

f00b4r
Site Admin

Re: Keeping corny kegs cold

Post by f00b4r » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Malt Miller and others sell neoprene jackets for them that some people use, including with freezer packs underneath. For occasional usage they seem to have good feedback but maybe someone with direct experience can comment further.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Keeping corny kegs cold

Post by Fil » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:07 am

standing kegs in an ice bath is a tried and tested temporary chilling solution that works really well for highly conditioned beers and lagers as the beer is drawn from the base where its coldest, a washing up bowl, ice cubes and a towel/bucket to soak up and remove excess water if it needs topping up when inside.

however if brought in from the fridge and served the same day, im sure if simply wrapped up in a good insuator and sat in the coolest spot possible they should retain enough chill for a night, especially if under chilled a few degrees in advance.. and if the beer starts to warm up just tweak the serving pressure down and vent the keg every 20 mins or so to draw off any excess pressure due to condition loss tho i doubt this will be necessary.

Perhaps get a bowl sit inside some flat insulation and sit a wrapped keg on top and serve away.. then If it warms up too much lift it out remove the insulation base and fill the bowl with ice.. standing the keg back atop the ice. 20 minuits later it should have had the desiered effect ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(