Kegerator tap holes

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
m_rawdin
Piss Artist

Kegerator tap holes

Post by m_rawdin » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:18 am

So I'm going to be building a kegerator soon from a second hand fridge and wondered what type of drill bit to use to drill the holes in the door. I have some of the below drill bits in different sizes but I think these are designed to be used on wood. Will these work on a metal fridge door or do I need a similar style metal drill bit?
Attachments
2017-06-22 09.12.13.png
https://www.facebook.com/groups/341609746264187/

Fermenting: Nothing
Conditioning: Smoked porter
Drinking: Cider, witbier, brown ale, Milk stout
Planning: Gamma Ray clone v3

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Kegerator tap holes

Post by borischarlton » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:30 am

Hi,

Couple of things, think twice about having the taps in the door. Every time you open the door you have beeline flexing about and it can be a pain. Every modern fridge I have seen just has the cooling pipes at the back so it is easy to go through the side of the fridge. Only thing to be careful of is some fridges have the thermostat control and light on one side.
To drill the hole I would make a pilot hole all the way through from the outside in, then use a flat wood bit to open the hole on the inside till all the plastic and insulation has been removed so you end up with a single skin of metal. Then use a QMAX cutter to make the hole. Personally I would buy a 21mm as it will be useful for other jobs, it is the 1/2"BSP size. You will then need to open the hole out slightly with a half round file for a perfect fit.

Cheers

Rob

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:41 am

Step drill is the way forward in my opinion works a treat. Pilot hole right through first to give the position and then step drill out to the diameter of the shank on the metal side and the plastic side, does the job perfectly and it's amazing how useful step drills are for other jobs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:53 am

I have just been given an undercounter fridge and think that the best location would be on the top.
What size is your proposed kegerator?

Junglist69

Post by Junglist69 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:52 pm

That drill bit will be absolutely fine. Mark up where you want your holes. Start off slowly, let the drill bit do the work, once the drill bit is through and you start to cut through the metal with the hole cutter step the drill up to the fastest speed and keep it square and steady. It will go through it no problem. I just done mine last week. Easy process once you've done the first. You may well have to file down the burrs from the holes after you've cut them, bit sharp otherwise.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

f00b4r
Site Admin

Kegerator tap holes

Post by f00b4r » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:21 pm

demig wrote:Step drill is the way forward in my opinion works a treat. Pilot hole right through first to give the position and then step drill out to the diameter of the shank on the metal side and the plastic side, does the job perfectly and it's amazing how useful step drills are for other jobs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Demig drilled the holes in mine after learning the lessons on his five (?) taps. It worked a treat and they are a really snug fit and perfectly level; you really want to be careful about getting then level or it will look strange when looking side on.

Interesting comment that borischarlton makes about putting them through the side but depending on your setup and diameter of beer line this may make more sense or not, either way duo not underestimate how far out there drip tray and tapd may stick out as you don't want to be constantly catching them and also knocking off the tap caps (you are going to use these to prevent fruit flies etc right?).