Bottling straight from tap

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Bottling straight from tap

Post by Manngold » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi all,

Got a new FV that has a tap at the bottom. Can I bottle directly from this without transferring to another FV? The beer was an all grain, no dry hop, and been crash cooled.

Thanks

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Bottling straight from tap

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Yes you can bottle direct from the primary fermenter, assuming that the tap is clear of the sediment.

The main reasons for transferring to other FV/buckets would be if you wanted to use both primary and secondary fermenters, and/or if you wanted to stir in finings without stirring up sediment, and/or if you wanted to stir in bulk priming sugars without stirring up sediment. If these don't apply to you then there probably isn't much to be gained by an extra transfer (if any do then there still could be reason to transfer).
Kev

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 pm

Kev888 wrote:Yes you can bottle direct from the primary fermenter, assuming that the tap is clear of the sediment.

The main reasons for transferring to other FV/buckets would be if you wanted to use both primary and secondary fermenters, and/or if you wanted to stir in finings without stirring up sediment, and/or if you wanted to stir in bulk priming sugars without stirring up sediment. If these don't apply to you then there probably isn't much to be gained by an extra transfer (if any do then there still could be reason to transfer).
Thanks Kev. I always used to, but since having a family I am finding I am having to adapt my methods to save time!

Thanks

blawford

Post by blawford » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Bottling wand might be a good addition.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:47 am

You can, but you might suck up a bit more sediment than you'd prefer as the tap is quite often close to the sediment line. You will also need to either dose your priming sugar straight into bottles (hint: a small syringe makes this easy and accurate), or mix it into your fermenter a few minutes before you start bottling (this also risks stirring up sediment.

A bottling wand or just some 8mm tubing on the tap will make filling easy if you want to fill from the tap.

If you find the tap is below the sediment line then get a regular old siphon and bottling wand:
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.p ... uctId=1638

Get the siphon to the right depth in your fermenter above the sediment and then clamp it in place with something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-quick-g ... lamp/29139
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks all. I have a bottle wand already that I was planning to attach anyway. I am also using carb drops so dont need to worry about priming.

Jocky, you hit the nail on the head, I was worried about sediment (was hoping that the crash cool would help that tho). I guess I will try it this way and see if I notice a massive difference.

Thanks all

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeah, try both. I've tried it from the tap and it definitely increases sediment (and time for it to drop out) even if I've crashed the fermenter for several days, whereas bottling from a siphon in the fermenter worked ok.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:10 pm

I have done it this way from day one and had no problems. i just use the one FV and bottle straight from the tap. i do tend to leave it about 3 weeks though so everything is settled. I use a wand and carb drops.

only exception is if i dry hop then i would use either a secondary or bottling bucket or if i wanted to batch prime id use a bottling bucket - if maybe i was targeting a carbonation rate not matching one or two carb drops for example. Carb drops are less fuss and always use them when targeting 2.6 for 500ml

Edit - My FV is a spiedel 30l, that may influence things as the tap may be higher than others- not sure

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:48 pm

when packaging from a fv tap may you want to drain the last of the volume from around and below the at level off into one vessel, consider 5l minikegs,

and when the brew level approaches the tap level you will NEED to start tipping the FV to keep the tap mouth submerged. any air gets in the tap and the venturi effect (i think) will suck all the protective co2 off the top of the brew and then quickly oxidise the beer :(

i find a 1/2" pvc hose fitted to a hozelock fitting which snaps onto my plastic fv taps great as the increased diameter drops the beer out much quicker enabling me to maintain a steady tip on the fv without a wedge to stabalise it..

If your draining slowley then magazines make a good material to stack a wedge from the glossy covers let you slip in extra height smoothly

There will me more waste than if racked off with a siphon, but it can also be a LOT quicker..

Also a garden centre 500mm sq gravel tray makes a good safety-net in case of drips n spills..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:39 pm

How much is the oxygen exposure an issue. Wouldn't it be far more if using a bottling bucket for instance?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Onthebrew wrote:How much is the oxygen exposure an issue. Wouldn't it be far more if using a bottling bucket for instance?
normally with a bottling wand you fill from th bottom of the bottle and the transfer of beer is enough to agitate some of the co2 still in solution out to blanket the beer and protect it untill it and the foam have pushed all 02 out of the bottle.

if draining a fv through its tap and you allow air to escape down the tap mouth. a Significant mass of air will be drawn through due to the venturi effect (check it out) this will draw out the co2 sat above your beer in seconds and then oxidise the beer draining until the gas ingress is sorted pdq.

to the best of my understanding ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Onthebrew

Post by Onthebrew » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:49 am

what if you attach the bottling wand direct to the Tap?

wanus
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by wanus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Hello all,i also bottle straight from the tap and have never had any problems.
I also use hose with a hose lock on my tap like fil but only when i am tranferring to a budget barrel.
As far as tilting the fermenter and using a wedge to do so is intresting.
There is a micro pub in Newcastle called The Split Chimp.
I asked the owner recently where the name comes from and he told me its a wedge of wood called a Split Chimp that brewers use for such scenarios.
www.splitchimp.pub
FV 1:Empty
FV 2:Empty
Demi 1&2:Empty
Demi 3&4:Empty
Maturing: Bastard builders brew
Bottle conditioning: Bastard builders brew
Drinking:McEwan's
Planning:More 🍺

Keep yer pecker hard and yer powder dry.