Silicone tubing for CO2

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Silicone tubing for CO2

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:18 am

McMullan wrote:... Yep, '16 bar' is printed on the tubing. It may have been a manufacturing flaw? I wasn't pushing much pressure through it. I'm not sure this type of tubing is designed for CO2. It might be too permeable for CO2? Any localised release, even under low pressure, might cause things to heat up too much then bang! Followed by a change of underwear.
Possibly is a bit permeable (medium density polythene) but folk have been using it (both 3/16 and 3/8) for eons without much concern. I use polyurethane tubing which is selected for its impermeablity to CO2 (for aquarium use) but the minute leaks in the rest of the system (connectors, etc.) drive me nuts! You are probably right putting it down to "manufacturing flaw", but everyone here seems excited by the glass reinforced PVC stuff now. Nothing like a bit of British belt and braces.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Well it gets rid of the need for all those reducers on my manifolds ;)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 am

Is the 3/16" beer line officially rated for use with gas or just beer/liquid? I believe gas can find and exploit small weaknesses better than liquid at the same pressure, so it may not be a given.

Though I must admit to using a bit of 3/16" for CO2 lately, whether suitable or not. So far no explosions but it is thin weedy stuff compared to 3/8" and seems more prone to leaks around the push-fittings - it is also too small for the barbs I have, which are generally more reliable. So I was going to return to 3/8" for that reason, but the reinforced polytube may be a good call 8)
Kev

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm

McMullan wrote:The OD (of what I use, which is very pliable) is slightly smaller than 3/8:

image.jpeg

Bit of a thread revival as I was waiting for this to come back in stock but can you confirm if this tubing works with JG fittings or not please?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:35 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm
McMullan wrote:The OD (of what I use, which is very pliable) is slightly smaller than 3/8:

image.jpeg

Bit of a thread revival as I was waiting for this to come back in stock but can you confirm if this tubing works with JG fittings or not please?
You will need suitably sized JG tube-to-stem connectors, if you want to use JG fittings. Personally, I'd recommend standard flare fittings for the CO2 side, though. Simpler and more reliable. And cheaper!

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:21 pm

McMullan wrote:
f00b4r wrote:

image.jpeg

You will need suitably sized JG tube-to-stem connectors, if you want to use JG fittings. Personally, I'd recommend standard flare fittings for the CO2 side, though. Simpler and more reliable. And cheaper!
Cheers, although my gas management board side already has JG fittings so I would need to get barbs or maybe just use standard gas line between that and anything directly off of it (mostly barbed manifolds thou).

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Since you've already opted for JG, a bag of tube-stem connectors might work better. Cost wise, compared to flares, probably not much in it.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Yeah i might just do that on that end of things. Xmas holidsay project i think :)

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 pm

f00b4r wrote:

image.jpeg

I think I might switch to this for the higher pressure CO2 lines and I also need some for an Angram that I picked up before xmas.

Brouwland are back in stock late Jan. EWL do a larger size: https://www.ewlonline.co.uk/pvc-3-8-x-5-8-braided-30m but not sure if this would work as well?....
Ian

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Quick question before I order. I also need some flexible 3/8 beer line to run to an Angram (I'm assuming pulling an Angram on 3/16 wouldn't be ideal?), would this be the best option for beer or is there something more suitable?

Cheers
Ian

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 pm

I'm not sure if 3/16 is suitable for an Angram pump. I used 'flexible' 1/2" beer line for my first cask ale over Xmas. It worked very well with an-inline non return valve, but I'll use 3/8 for the next batch. The 1/2" is too rigid. I'll need to use some for the valve, though:

http://cfbsonline.co.uk/index.php/handp ... -line.html

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm

McMullan wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 pm
I'm not sure if 3/16 is suitable for an Angram pump. ...
I'm sure. Because I was daft enough to try it once! No it's not suitable; the pump handle will bend/break hauling on it to try and get the beer through that tiny bore.
McMullan wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:26 pm
... I used 'flexible' 1/2" beer line for my first cask ale over Xmas. It worked very well with an-inline non return valve, but I'll use 3/8 for the next batch. The 1/2" is too rigid. I'll need to use some for the valve, though:

http://cfbsonline.co.uk/index.php/handp ... -line.html
That's a real "check-valve"! I guarantee there is now a group of folk trying (and failing) to use one instead of the mis-named hand-pump "check valve" because of it's more compact design. John Guest do a pushfit one for 3/8" beer-line, but that'll be a fiddle to fit to other types of line too.

A real check-valve can only replace a hand-pump "check-valve" (a demand valve) when the cask/keg is below the pump, and far enough below for the weight of beer in the vertical bit of pipe to counter any pressure build up in the cask/keg. Both prevent potentially bad beer returning to the cask/keg from the pump. (That statement isn't for you "McMullan" 'cos I know you'd understand it; it's for the folk I reckon you could have mis-guided - hmm I should find a job writing "risk assessments" and fool-proof procedures; you know the sort who do this - right pains-in-the...).

EDIT: That last statement might upset someone, so I'd better adjust it... Writing "risk assessments" and fool-proof procedures is a right pain-in-the... But then again people who enjoy writing them probably are right pains-in-the...
Last edited by PeeBee on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am

So would the flexible braided brouwland hose be a good option for a 2-3m line to an Angram? Or would a silicone version be better?

Ian
Ian

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:16 am

donchiquon wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 am
So would the flexible braided brouwland hose be a good option for a 2-3m line to an Angram? Or would a silicone version be better?

Ian
As the thread seems to have switched from CO2 line to beer line...

Avoid using silicone tube to carry fermented beer altogether. Silicone tube is virtually transparent to oxygen and the beer it contains will suffer because of it.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:14 pm

PeeBee wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:16 am
As the thread seems to have switched from CO2 line to beer line...
I'm hoping that Mcmullan's Brouwland tubing can be dual purpose :wink: I;be just ordered 12m to do my higher pressure CO2 lines and a beer line to my Angram which needs to be flexible.

I could do with a decent barbed splitter for force carbonating two kegs at once. Anyone think that this would work? I'm not sure of the external dimensions....https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... e-t-piece/ Or is there something more suitable?..

EDIT - I've found a plastic T hose joiner that should work just fine!
Ian