Equipment needed to transfer under pressure

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Equipment needed to transfer under pressure

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:04 pm

My conical has a clamped lid and supports modest pressure to support pressurised transfers or bottling under pressure.

What is the minimum equipment to get started with this?

I have the SS chronical which has a 1.5" tri clamp adapter to take the gas in.

Not interested in kegging etc and the beer will be uncarbonated (bottle priming) so beer guns are not essential. I have a racking/ bottling cane which is suspect will do the job

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Equipment needed to transfer under pressure

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:32 pm

sounds like your sorted for transferring under naturally produced pressure, just check you can contain enough co2 at a high enough pressure to move all your beer befre you commit..

otherwise you will need a co2 supply and regulator, quality hb suppliers will have regulators, a basic welders co2 regulator is fine, but if considering kegging using sankey kegs a regulstor with a built in prv might be a prudent choice , corny kegs have a prv fitted in each keg so you dont need a sophisticated regulator..

for co2, it depends where u are, but your looking at £0-£50 bottle deposit, and £15-25 exchange/refil charge anything costing more is a rip off and avoid monthly contracts like the plaugue, a 6.5kg bottle could last you a good few years with nominal non keg cleaning purging conditioning serving duties.

you can buy smaller bottles but buying a bottle makes you responsible for its safety certification, co2 is used by hydroponics and tropical fish enthusiasts too ;)

So your looking at upto £100 realistically to put the deposit on a bottle buy the first fill and regulator, 3/8" ldpe gas line is cheap as chips, and a short length of thick walled silicone tube should be ok to make a a friction/hoseclipped connection between gasline and FV ;) attatch gas line to a regulator with a 1/4" hosetail fitting and jubilee clip or buy a jg fitting ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:36 pm

thinking about it tho you might get away using co2 bulbs, if you build up significant pressure and just need a bit more to drain the fv a pb bulb valve mod may be a lot cheaper if you only use a single bulb or two and have no kegging aspirations.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:33 am

The CO2 bulb adapter sounds very interesting, as I do use those with a couple of the 4L steel kegs that MrLard sells.

So in theory I have all the kit, and it may be possible to use the reg that came for dispense, to supply CO2 instead of the full bottle setup.

My main goal is not necessarily transfer under pressure - I can empty my FV with gravity, and I dont transfer to keg, or otherwise need to push the beer up.

I am more interested in sterile transfers. If I want to bottle over multiple days to break up the work, I will need to fill the FV headspace with something other that atmospheric air. Or if I want to re-use the yeast cake, its probably a good idea to not expose it for 3+ hours on a bottling day.

Technically I just need an aspirator/cask breather arrangement. If I had rigged up a polypin to my blow off tube, I could have used that, but thats a project for another day methinks.