Crusader Queries

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
DaveGillespie

Crusader Queries

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:28 am

I have a Corny setup but I'm considering a 30L Crusader to use as a pressurisable fermenter. A couple of questions

1. I had seen mention that even since BrewUK took over homebrew distribution for Crusader that you could still make single orders by phoning Crusader directly. Has anyone done this recently and have an idea on price?
2. Is there an illustrated guide anywhere to the "5p trick"? I haven't seen one and I assume if I were to seat the spear on a new keg without removing the safety and couldn't get the 5p trick to work I'd be scuppered and unable to remove the spear.
3. Would anyone be able to provide a total measurement of the height of the keg including the engaged Sankey coupler connected to Beer line? Crusader have dimensions on their website but I've never seen a coupler up close and personal so I have no idea of the dimensions on that.

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: Crusader Queries

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:49 am

The 30l kegs are much cheaper from kammac. Mine were £139 delivered for two.

I'll pm you the details.

I'll measure up for you tonight when I get home.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks a lot. Have you removed safetys from your spears or are you using the 5p trick?

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 am

I use the 5p trick. Works perfectly on the kummac spears

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:44 am

Any idea if there's a handy explanation of the 5p trick on the forum anywhere?

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 am

Not seen one, but it's super easy. I'll see if I can take some pics while doing it tonight

BackO'Th'Shed

Post by BackO'Th'Shed » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 am

I'd also recommend Kammac. Bought a couple of pins from there a few months back. Great price and includes colour bands and engraving as standard. Can't comment on the kegs, but the pins are great.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:58 pm

All the info is on this thread but unfortunately a lot of the images are not showing due to recent Photo Bucket changes: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58785

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi,

I would really appreciate the details of Kammac. Unwell have a Google and see what I can find, but any other info appreciated.

I just bought a 30 litre keg from Brew UK but would be pleased to get my next few a little cheaper!

Matt :)

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Pics as promised

This is the setup for my bar tap. The connector adds about 6 inch to the height

This is the carbonation connector. Instead of pointing upwards it bends to the side. This only adds 4.5 inch to the height.

The 5p trick I can't show as the keg is 1/3 full, but basically you have a hole in the centre of the spear

Drop a 5p into it like below

Then connect the beer coupler, engage it and the spear safety disconnects and comes out. Dead simple really.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:04 pm

You're a gent. I was looking at the right angle type top fitting, that will fit my under counter fridge with a bit of clearance.

What sort of tool are you using to unscrew the spear first? I think barneeey engineered something based off a 45mm odd socket.

EDIT: presumably your legs are the Kammac ones?

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Same tool to open s Type spears.

A couple of quid at your local hardware store. A basin wrench

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:32 pm

Barneey did indeed make a nice tool from a socket, and very nice it was too. I keep meaning to, but currently am still using the siverline basin spanner mentioned above; it actually works fine, just not as satisfying as a proper tool.

Note that the 5p trick only works with some types of spear safety devices, it sounds like this includes the current kammac type and it also worked with some crusader keg spears I bought (from brewUK) several months ago. But a more recent purchase from them sadly came with a different lever kind of safety device that was more awkward to use; I ended up removing this from the spear (at my own risk of course).

BTW, for fermenters, I've seen some on US forums that use a triclover/triclamp fitting around the neck lip instead of the spear.
Kev

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Kev888 wrote:BTW, for fermenters, I've seen some on US forums that use a triclover/triclamp fitting around the neck lip instead of the spear.
The Malt Miller sells them.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:15 pm

The US kits are sold stating they're not meant for pressurised fermentation. The Malt Miller one you linked is for the whole kit including 50L keg. 30L variants don't seem to exist, closest is 26L.

Coffeeuk - thanks for the help. Are the kegs you're using the 5p trick with from Kammac?