Corny keg newbie question.

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
rcammish
Tippler

Corny keg newbie question.

Post by rcammish » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi
I've finally got myself a corny keg and have an APA ready to transfer.
I plan on cooling the beer down using my new fridge... As yet I have no idea how cool it will go.
I will then transfer to the keg.
This is where things get complicated with different people doing different things. I have a simple party tap with a 3/8 and 3/16 line from the malt Miller.
What is the simplest way of carbonating my beers over 10 to 14 days for a beginner?
Ideally I would like to disconnect the gas overnight if possible.
I'm looking to keep it simple to prevent foaming and over carbonation.
I will be keeping the keg in my inkbird controller fridge.
Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Bigbud78
Piss Artist

Re: Corny keg newbie question.

Post by Bigbud78 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:43 pm

really need to keep the gas on while its carbing, just set it at 10psi and forget for a week. I tend to ramp it up to 30psi for 24 hours then turn it down to 10psi and leave it.

If your using an inkbird to control the fridge you can remove the thermastat, this will get you a lot colder ;)

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Use this or https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbo ... alculator/ similar to work out what pressure you want for the level of carbonation and beer temp. pressure the corny to this level. If you don't want to keep it connected just keep topping it up to that level a few times a day until it stays at that pressure.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:12 am

Great. Thanks for the info. So I use the keg carbonation calculator. Set the pressure and leave connected or top up several times a day and give it a week or 10 days..... Sounds simple!

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 am

And remember to lower the pressure for serving.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:49 am

Carb up. After ten to fourteen days vent the keg then set a serving pressure?

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:03 am

You can also 'force' carbonate it by pressurising and shaking too. All you're doing is getting CO2 into solution.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:08 am

My beers are set around 8-10PSI and generally carb up within a week. They're served on that pressure too, I don't bother faffing around with "serving" pressure".

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:36 am

Yes dropping the pressure for serving is a waste of gas and only necessary if you don't have the system set up correctly in the first place. You need enough small bore pipe to balance the pressure in the keg. Although - OP - you don't say how long the line is before the party tap, I guess minimal? That's the first upgrade you need, proper tap that you can mount to a wall or fridge door or something and several metres of 3/16 pipe.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi the tap is slightly better than the standard one. From the malt miller description..... This premium Party tap consists of 3/8 line adapted to 2 meters of 3/16 line and then back to 3/8 Line with a simple thumb operated tap. The combination of the different sized lines means that you eliminate most of the foaming whilst dispensing your beer..... Hopefully I can set around 10psi for a week and serve without any major problems?

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:49 pm

OK. The keg is (hopefully) cleaned and sanitised. The beer is in and the gas is set to 12psi. I've set the inkbird to 7C and attached the probe to the side of the keg and insulated it. Now I wait two weeks, attach the party tap after a week and sample.... Hopefully I'm not missing anything here?

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:18 pm

sounds about right, there is a kegging chart stickied in here iirc that shows temps in C, rather than F https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 7178,d.ZG4
but here is the one i have bookmarked just in case,,
might be best to check that 12psi @ 7c is the optimum serving conditions for the level of condition your after in your IPA, and dont be shy in giving the keg a wee shake every now and again to help it on its way..

also be mindful our regulator dials may not all be very precise/accurate at low psi.. and watch out for post setting creep..

enjoy..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:43 am

Thanks for all the great advice. Without it I would still drinking from bottles. Looking forward to having a sample next week and I'll keep my eye out for post setting creep.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 am

Tried the beer on Tuesday and last night. To my astonishment it poured fine and has decent carbonation. I've been shaking the keg a few times a day so maybe that helped. I'm chuffed with the whole set up. I'll never go back to bottling again!
I'm looking to do another beer soon and as the fridge is quite small, is it OK to disconnect the keg and store at room temperature for a few weeks while I ferment another beer? I can then chill the keg back down to 7c reconnect the gas and I assume it will be fine?

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am

It should remain drinkable for 6 months or more as long as it keeps pressure.

It would be interesting to find out how long someone has kept a beer in a cornie for.