Corny keg newbie question.

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Corny keg newbie question.

Post by Manngold » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 am

AnthonyUK wrote:It should remain drinkable for 6 months or more as long as it keeps pressure.

It would be interesting to find out how long someone has kept a beer in a cornie for.
Had a coup!e of kegs that were about two and a half years old. One was a APA that was so bitter, but mellowed out a lot. The other was a fruit beer. I invited about 20 people round to drink them. Nobody complained, most really liked them.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi.
It's not the length of time I can keep a beer. I'm curious if I disconnect the gas and use the fridge to ferment another beer, will it be OK to put the cornie back in fridge a few weeks later and chill again without any loss of condition or other problems like foaming etc. The cornie would be stored at room temperature whilst using the fridge to ferment another beer.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Meatandtwoveg

Post by Meatandtwoveg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:41 pm

Welcome to kegging - yes, you won't go back. In fact you'll be buying more...
As for taking it off pressure and back up to room temp - it's all good. As long as there's enough pressure in the keg to maintain the seal (which doesn't need to be a lot if the lid and o ring are in good fettle), all you are effectively doing is like taking a bottle of beer out of the fridge and then later returning it.
Just don't throw the keg around too much. Unless you've filtered the brew, you'll have a small amount of 'muck' at the base which will be stirred up. Careful moving and then returning to the fridge when you wish will soon bring it back to temp and clarity.
I've kept beer in kegs for over 12 months and they certainly do mellow and improve when allowed to condition. They can be moved to fridge for a party and then taken out later to make room for others.
Enjoy!

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:11 am

Thanks for for the reply, that's fantastic. Now to buy another keg...

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi. Just a quick question... I think my beer is carbonated perfectly now. I may sample a pint or two through the week and definitely on the weekend. Can I turn the gas off now and simply open the valve on the bottle again to 10psi when I want to dispense? Sounds logical but I really thought I better check.... Ta.

Meatandtwoveg

Post by Meatandtwoveg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Yes, in fact you'll find that you'll get a pint or two out before you need to gas up to your preferred pressure again.

Experiment with the pressure vs losing the seal on the lid. It doesn't need much to seal and the worst thing you'll do is over pressure (who wants a pint of foam) so keep it low. You'll get a feel for the keg as they can be different as to their age/condition.

I dispense wine as well from mine. The pressure is kept to a level that will just dispense, the wine is perfectly still (although I could of course choose to go fizzy) and with a permanent blanket of co2 it's a good way of pouring a glass and not having a part open bottle going off.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:43 am

That's great. Thanks for that detailed answer. As the keg is at 10psi I will disconnect and store at room temperature. I'm guessing that should be enough pressure to keep the keg sealed.

BarnBrian

Post by BarnBrian » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Jambo wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:36 am
Yes dropping the pressure for serving is a waste of gas and only necessary if you don't have the system set up correctly in the first place. You need enough small bore pipe to balance the pressure in the keg. Although - OP - you don't say how long the line is before the party tap, I guess minimal? That's the first upgrade you need, proper tap that you can mount to a wall or fridge door or something and several metres of 3/16 pipe.
The amount of gas lost through dropping the pressure from a full keg is virtually nothing so I wouldn't let this be a concern.

rcammish
Tippler

Post by rcammish » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:20 pm

Ok. Thanks.

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Whether the lost gas is a concern to you or not is irrelevant; you're venting aroma in many cases. Plus the faff involved with venting and repressurising every time you want a pint.

Get some 3/16" line, start wirh 3 metres for 10psi and chop down a foot at a time until you get the pour you want. No more faff.