Transferring from cask to keg?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Brewer

Transferring from cask to keg?

Post by Brewer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi Guys

I'm looking to try to transfer ale from a cask to a couple of cornys to make it last longer do you think this would be ok? Im not sure if it would create too much foam? Possible risk of infection?

Cheers
Matt

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Transferring from cask to keg?

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 am

There's also the possible introduction of oxygen into the beer to consider, which could make it go stale.

If it was me, I'd be looking to do a 'closed transfer'. You can do this by rigging up the cornie and cask so that the beer goes in through the beer out post; you should control the pressure inside the cornie via the gas input to the cornie and the cornie pressure relief valve to make it less than that inside the cask, so the beer flows from one to the other.

You should purge the cornie with CO2 first to exclude oxygen.

You might be OK just pouring it in via beer line (pushed right to the bottom of the cornie) but it is likely to foam up quite a bit more than doing it the way I described.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

robbarwell
Hollow Legs

Re: Transferring from cask to keg?

Post by robbarwell » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:32 am

Ive done this a few times.

Tap and vent the cask, keep checking the beer to make sure its running clear, as soon as it is (usually about 6 to 12 hours)

Purge the Cornelius keg with Co2, attach a line from tap to cornelius keg and run at a trickle the beer down the inside of the keg, this should cut down the fobbing, repeat for keg 2. as soon as kegs are full put the lids on and gas them.

Ive kept beer this way and in a pressure barrel from a cask for 2 months with no problems whatsoever, ace for xmas and new year shinanagans