Help with frothy mini keg

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
mrboxpiff
Steady Drinker

Help with frothy mini keg

Post by mrboxpiff » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Using a mini keg that I got for my birthday for the first time. I was very careful not to over prime, but it's coming out very very frothy. I've inserted the co cartridge and been careful not to pressurise it to much. What am I doing wrong, any tips?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Help with frothy mini keg

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:22 pm

They can all be a bit lively with the first pint out till the internal pressure drops, you can chill the minikeg to maximise the amount of co2 that will remain in solution,

you can bleed the excess pressure off pulling the tap back out and pressurising for serving with the co2 bulb/reg if really over-conditioned.. ..

pop the minikeg in the fridge overnight and it should be fine tomorrow, and once the first few pints have been drawn off the contained pressure will drop and serve the remaining beer more steadily..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

IPA
Under the Table

Re: Help with frothy mini keg

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:40 am

mrboxpiff wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:58 pm
Using a mini keg that I got for my birthday for the first time. I was very careful not to over prime, but it's coming out very very frothy. I've inserted the co cartridge and been careful not to pressurise it to much. What am I doing wrong, any tips?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
It's over carbonated either because
1 It was kegged before fermentation had finished.
2 It was over primed
3 You added CO2 too soon.
4 All three.

Forget all those online priming calculators. Prime with 2.5 grams sugar per litre when fermentation has finished. That is when the expected fg has remained stable for at least three days. And you won't have a foaming problem.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)