Help with CO2 bottle not releasing gas

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
BoozyAndy

Help with CO2 bottle not releasing gas

Post by BoozyAndy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi Gents, I was hoping I could get a few pointers from you on a bit of trouble I'm having with releasing gas from a CO2 bottle.

I've recently picked up two Cornelius legs and subsequently purchased a 6.4kg gas bottle and regulator (along with all the other bits). I keg' a stout last week but ended up needing to add sugar and start natural condionting as I can't get the regulator to release any gas.

When attaching a new regulator no gas is released when fully opening each valve.

I can get the bottle to dispense gas if I fully open the screw valve and also depress a disk in the middle of the valve (please see pics attached where I point to the crossed section on the inner valve that I point too with a screwdriver). For some reason the regulator doesn't open this part of the valve when attached to the bottle.

Am I making any sense here and explaining this?

BoozyAndy

Re: Help with CO2 bottle not releasing gas

Post by BoozyAndy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:56 pm

2 secs, having issues attaching pics

james1988
Piss Artist

Post by james1988 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Is the male end long enough to reach the valve? On my phone at the moment so a little difficult to make out what's going on in the photo.

James

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:06 pm

Its too late right now to go out and disconnect my reg to check but I dont think mine has any hardware that pokes in and engages with the bottle valves internals. Just a recess of a few mm just like yours!!

perhaps try closing the regulator valve before attaching and opening the bottle valve?? perhaps its simply a degree of back pressure thats needed to operate the bottle valve?

You dont appear to have any washers or seals in use between the reg and bottle , usually either a dowty washer or a thick synthetic washer is employed ?
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 am

Have you weighed the bottle? It could be empty. Stamped on the bottle will be the empty weight so the amount it weighs above that figure will be the amount of gas it contains.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:35 am

None of my (pub gas style) CO2 bottles have ever needed anything pressing in to allow them to release gas. They have always just let it out when the valve is opened - even if no regulator is attached. Is that a special cylinder?
Kev

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:19 pm

what sort of gas bottle is it, ie from who. as said before thats a safety thing which pub gas botts don't have afaik

you may have to fashion something to push on it when you screw on the reg . like a cone with a few holes.

edit; i think its a residue pressure valve, ie if the main valve is left open when the cylinder is empty it stops moisture ingress, this sort of thing is on medical gases cylinders.
To Busy To Add,