Watter Butt Tap - Flow

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Addled Jim

Watter Butt Tap - Flow

Post by Addled Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Folks,
I'm about to put a Xmas brew into a PB to take away over the holiday, I decided to get a water butt tap and attach the float as I would on the barrel tap - the thing is the flow from water is considerably less than from the same float/barrel tap set up. Obviously there is no pressure to force the water out but with the lid off and 1/2 full the trickle is worrying me.
Is this normal and part of the greater control they offer - I don't want to go ahead and sterilise before asking this question?
Thanks

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Watter Butt Tap - Flow

Post by Fil » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:42 am

fwiw i use ebay sourced waddington and duval brand water but taps with hozelock style spouts on some FVs. when a 1/2" (12.5mm) pvc hose is attached with a hozelock connector, the beer drops out the FV at a great rate ;) I suspect the narrowness of your feed tube from the float is the limiting factor in your test set up (perhaps kinked or bent too??) as well as the lack of upto 12psi pressure behind the liquid.

however i dont know just how much pressure a water but tap will contain before it starts to leak??
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

joe1002
Piss Artist

Re: Watter Butt Tap - Flow

Post by joe1002 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Check the time side of the tap. I bought a couple and found they had some plastic on the inside of the tap which I had cut out. After that they flowed much better.