Regulator advice

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
robin.tibbs

Regulator advice

Post by robin.tibbs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Had a good search and can’t seem to find the answer, so here goes...

I managed to get hold of two old fridges cheaply and am using one for fermentation, and one for dispensing. I can’t quite stretch to corny legs at the moment but I do have some 5L mini kegs. I get how to set up kegs to dispense, but was wondering if there’s a regulator I can buy that will fit both my mini kegs, and cornies when I eventually get round to getting some. I’m guessing adapters of some kind are involved? Thanks in advance.

Robin

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Regulator advice

Post by PeeBee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:35 pm

You are thinking it out a bit wrong. You pick your regulator for your gas supply (pub bottle, soda-stream canister, disposable bulbs, etc.) and then get the suitable connectors to fix it up to your dispensing kegs (or whatever).

If you want Cornies eventually you might well pick a "pub bottle" (6.35kg CO2) as it is the cheaper CO2 in the long run. Many folk get a cheap "welding" regulator that will fit these 6.35kg cylinders. You can get adapters to fit such a regulator to Soda-stream canisters too. Pick a gas supply that suits you, then think about a regulator and how to fix it to your dispensing container.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

robin.tibbs

Regulator advice

Post by robin.tibbs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:31 pm

[quote="PeeBee"]You are thinking it out a bit wrong. You pick your regulator for your gas supply (pub bottle, soda-stream canister, disposable bulbs, etc.) and then get the suitable connectors to fix it up to your dispensing kegs (or whatever).

If you want Cornies eventually you might well pick a "pub bottle" (6.35kg CO2) as it is the cheaper CO2 in the long run. Many folk get a cheap "welding" regulator that will fit these 6.35kg cylinders. You can get adapters to fit such a regulator to Soda-stream canisters too. Pick a gas supply that suits you, then think about a regulator and how to fix it to your dispensing container.[/quote]

Ah thanks, in that case do you know what connector I’d use to connect a mini keg up? For clarity by mini keg I mean the ones like you find filled with Hobgoblin et al in supermarkets, not the fancy ones :)

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Party taps and their big brothers 'mini keg machines' are the general solution to minikeg serving, the machine being a container and peltier chiller arrangement generally with a nice tap lever to operate the party tap inside.

However i do recall it being done by someone who made his own minikeg spears 2 x concentric tubes one to feed in co2 and the 2nd central smaller tube to extract the beer 3/8" and 3/16" outside diameters iirc bodging a JG reducing T fitting atop. imho an easir bodge may be 10mm and 6mm copper tube with a similar end feed reducing T with the 6mm pipe stop filled out (or ues a 10-8mm reducing T and pack the gap??).

However with minikegs your relying on friction between your spear and the rubber bung to secure the spear in place against the pressure in the mini keg, so either strapping or very careful maintenance of the serving pressure is in order. And it can take some practice feathering a regulator to achieve consistent low serving pressures required not to blow your kegs.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

robin.tibbs

Post by robin.tibbs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:20 pm

[quote="Fil"]Party taps and their big brothers 'mini keg machines' are the general solution to minikeg serving, the machine being a container and peltier chiller arrangement generally with a nice tap lever to operate the party tap inside.

However i do recall it being done by someone who made his own minikeg spears 2 x concentric tubes one to feed in co2 and the 2nd central smaller tube to extract the beer 3/8" and 3/16" outside diameters iirc bodging a JG reducing T fitting atop. imho an easir bodge may be 10mm and 6mm copper tube with a similar end feed reducing T with the 6mm pipe stop filled out (or ues a 10-8mm reducing T and pack the gap??).

However with minikegs your relying on friction between your spear and the rubber bung to secure the spear in place against the pressure in the mini keg, so either strapping or very careful maintenance of the serving pressure is in order. And it can take some practice feathering a regulator to achieve consistent low serving pressures required not to blow your kegs.[/quote]

Just after seeing your last post I think I found the post you’re talking about and have a general idea of what’s needed. Now I can’t seem to find it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robin.tibbs

Post by robin.tibbs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Have found this, which seems very similar to what I wanted to accomplish. Assuming it has some kind of pressure relief valve on it?

http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/keg- ... 1495-p.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 am

robin.tibbs wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:36 pm
Have found this, which seems very similar to what I wanted to accomplish. Assuming it has some kind of pressure relief valve on it?

http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/keg- ... 1495-p.asp
36 quid! Crikey. And no tap, regulator, gas bottle, or even the mini kegs. But if that's what you want. Mind you, 36 quid will be a good down payment on some proper kit.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Fil

Post by Fil » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Aye i would drop a fiver or so on some bits and a sunday afternoon fiddle/potter before committing to such an investment thats a sack of grain and 200g of hops yer talking about..

The 2 major weaknesses of 'party taps' and it looks like the linked to solution are the fragile plastic dip tube that can easily snap when initially pushed through the mini krg bung, and the plastic catches that secure a 'top' onto the minikeg lid rim. both seem relevant with the above..

A circa 18" length of gaffer/duct tape while not as pretty would make a very serviceable securing for any spear assembly you could mount/fit.

Fil

Aye i would drop a fiver or so on some bits and a sunday afternoon fiddle/potter before committing to such an investment thats a sack of grain and 200g of hops yer talking about..

The 2 major weaknesses of 'party taps' and it looks like the linked to solution are the fragile plastic dip tube that can easily snap when initially pushed through the mini krg bung, and the plastic catches that secure a 'top' onto the minikeg lid rim. both seem relevant with the above..

A circa 18" length of gaffer/duct tape while not as pretty would make a very serviceable securing for any spear assembly you could mount/fit.

Fil

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Aye up Fil you alright? I wondered at a recent double post but now a triple. :shock:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Fil

Post by Fil » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:39 pm

sticky mouse button must be !!

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Fil wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:39 pm
sticky mouse button must be !!

Not a shaky digit then? :lol:
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer