Beer gun and maxi

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Beer gun and maxi

Post by Secla » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Wanting to bottle some of my beer so picked up a blichmann style beergun. Instruction say beer should be chilled, would running it through my maxi chiller work or should I chill the whole keg ?

Rhodesy

Re: Beer gun and maxi

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:40 am

I would look to chill the whole keg and get it as low as you can. Also the bottles to the same temperature otherwise you will see quite a bit of foaming. As with a lot of things with this hobby I found the process to be a bit trial and error. Also make sure the rubber stopper is on properly otherwise you may end up soaked :D

Secla

Post by Secla » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:14 am

Was going to pop the keg out in the garage for a bit but with current temps it will probably freeze 😬

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:18 am

You'll need to chill the bottles as well, I have one don't use it as it just a nuisance with long lines so I'm building a proper CPF or at least I will be when the last of the bits arrive.

aamcle

Fuzzy-felt
Tippler

Post by Fuzzy-felt » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:44 am

A lot of people use beer guns with a good degree of success. As Rhodesy says, there can be an element of trial an error about it. One of the biggest problems is foaming, which can be lessened by cooling the bottles as mentioned by others here, and by reducing the pressure in the keg as low as you can.
As for cooling your beer, I would chose the method that reduces the risk of disturbing the sediment the most. I wouldn't want to be moving the keg just before bottling. For me, this has sometimes meant hooking up the beer gun to a keg that is in the fridge.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pm

the pegas bottle filling taps do seem to be a popular option for bottling from a keg. they dont boast quite the same shelf life expecting you to sup the bottled beer withing a few weeks of bottling but you dont need to go to quite the same chilling lengths to get a foam free beer into a bottle.aThey are not cheap either, ut afaik the chinese rip ofs have now fixd the issue that ment they simply didnt work ;) , but as you can sit a beer tap on the pass through port the convinience may be worth the investment, also check out the mod using a washer with a notch chopped out that lets you fill most glass (not flip tops & wychwood too iirc) bottles too, not just the suggested PET screwtops.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(