Lager in a corny

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Lager in a corny

Post by Manngold » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:17 pm

But if a dilemma, haven't used my corny kegs for a couple of years, but have run out of bottles.

I reckon I have enough gas to seal a keg and was thinking of priming with sugar. Is this ok? How much sugar should I use? I haven the brewed a lager in a while. I don't want glasses of foam either so am replacing the lines, what size line should I get?

Thanks

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Lager in a corny

Post by aamcle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:18 pm

As long as it's sanitary it should be fine and you can prime in one but you might want to chop 1-2cm off the pick up tube so you don't suck up sediment.

This https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ will work out the amount of sugar to use, I can't help with lenght of tube.

ATB. aamcle

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 am

If u have Beersmith it will calculate the amount of priming sugar for you.

I always batch prime in the keg as it is easier for me to get sugar than co2.

From experience u don’t need to chop the dip tube. The first pint will be cloudy with sediment.

I also use a spunding valve on the keg to ensure I don’t overcarb the beer.

If you are worried about cloudy beer get a cask wedge or get a floating dip tube like the fermentasaurus system has. This will serve clear beer from the top of the keg

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:28 am

with my lagers I have around 500mm of 10mm beerline going to around 1500mm of 3/16 beerline then a stub of 10mm again into the tap ( the tap takes 10mm line) , measurements are approximate. Served at around 3/4 c and it pours a nice pint with a decent head

Edit. You can chop off the bottom of the dip tube , you can always put on a small bit of silicone tube to extend the tube in the future.

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks all.

Aamcle I checked the link. Still a bit confused as it mentions temp of the beer. Currently it is crash cooled to 5c, which suggests only 60g of sugar, but if it was 20c, it would need 90g of sugar. How does this work? 60g sounds too little to me.

I have nipped the dip tube before but found I could not get a clean enough cut, think I will give it.a miss this time. Thanks dbambrick and Aamcle for advice regarding this.

Hayden, any chance of a picture of what you mean. I am a visual learner! (Sorry - teacher speak)

Thanks

aamcle
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by aamcle » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:41 pm

It's the fermentation temperature you need to use, Co2 is less soluble in warm water than in cold so if it had say 1/2 a volume at 20 and you cool it it will still only have that 1/2 volume as it wont have been able to get more Co2.

aamcle

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Hers what I have
IMAG0161.jpg
This is the end that goes into the disconnect
IMAG0160.jpg
This is the end that goes into the tap

Manngold
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Manngold » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks both. That makes perfect sense Hayden, thanks for the pictures!

Getting it kegged in the next 20 minutes.