Triple Gas Regulator?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
greengrass

Re: Triple Gas Regulator?

Post by greengrass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:33 am

Thanks for the info I might to go for a double regulator (see below) as I only have room for 3 kegs anyway, I will pressurise 2 kegs via a John Guest splitter, at one pressure for beer and the third for larger etc, anybody see any problems with that?
Greengrass
Attachments
regulator.jpg
regulator.jpg (27.19 KiB) Viewed 3082 times

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Beware using JG splitters as they don't usually have any check valves to prevent backflow of beer or gas. You can get away with it if you are careful but you are probably better getting a manifold, which will also allow you to shut off individual kegs.

greengrass

Post by greengrass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks I have not thought of that, I will put in a double manifold instead, the shopping list is getting longer. (will have to hide it from the wife)
Greengrass

greengrass

Post by greengrass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Also I have read, that to reduce excessive foaming it has been suggested to reduce the size of the beer tube from 3/8" down but I can not remember the smaller size tube recommended?. And how you go about balancing the lines? (lot to learn)
Greengrass.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:00 pm

3/16 line makes a huge difference and the are a couple of ways to do it but I prefer the stem reducers as you then don't need 3/8 beer line.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:07 pm

Yes, 3/16" (OD) is 'much' smaller in cross section ID than 3/8", and so offers noticeably more restriction to the beer flow. The beer's pressure then drops gradually on the way to the tap without needing very long lengths of line.

Though the best/first strategy to avoid foaming is to be modest about how highly carbonated the beer is, or certainly to avoid things that cause over-carbonation. Then to use consistent pressures and consistent (and preferably cool) temperatures. Once you have the pressure & temperature for the keg worked out, then you can choose a beer line to suit - either by calculation or by testing.

The idea is to have the line naturally pour at the right kind of rate (if you watch in a pub, this is perhaps slower than realised). You can get adjustable restrictors (flow controls) to help, but it is best if the line is roughly right to begin with, with the flow controls then used just to teak or add flexibility.
Kev

greengrass

Post by greengrass » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks Kev, your system is exactly the kind of system I plan to do myself, I have 2 larder fridges, one for fermentation and one for a keg system which I guess I can fit 3 kegs in. both are controlled with a STC1000.
Do your 3/16" lines go directly into the shank on the rear of the faucet, or do you have a 3/16" to 3/8" reducer?.
Greengrass

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:08 pm

I've some taps that take 3/16th directly and some have a stem adaptor to 3/8ths. Both seem to work okay for me.
Kev

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:48 pm

while we're on the subject , anyone know where i can source parts for the gas management board I posted ? i have a spare that is missing the first passthrough regulator and the connection into the right hand side of the board into the 'carbonation' dial. and a spare on off tap assembly would be handy or even just the rubber seals

Kev888

Post by Kev888 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:33 pm

This could be wrong, but I think the secondaries on those boards may be made by Norgren. Or at least, they make some that look very, very similar. They come up on ebay sometimes, but there are different pressures and so on. If the second one is still there, presumably the part number would be on the bottom (i.e. hidden by the board's backplate).
Kev

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:58 pm

I'll have a look at it tomorrow, ive got a standard secondary reg in its place atm, bypassing the 'carbonation' dial completely.

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:02 am

I'm sure they are Norgren regulators. But I'm being a bit thick probably, don't understand if the regulators missing why are u bypassing the carbonation dial? Isn't it fed directly from the " primary" regulator? I have a spare Norgren reg.somewhere I'll try and find it and see if there is any way it wold fit my old gas management board.
aka Rhys

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:39 am

the carbonation dial is fed from a bypass regulator, through the side enterance , but this is a 15mm bore or so not a 10mm like the rest, I dont have anything to block off the hole.

Heron1952
Piss Artist

Post by Heron1952 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Just taken my set up off the metal back plate. The primary regulator feeds into the plastic box with a tee in the plastic which as u say is 15mm this then reduces to 3/8 down to the carbonation tap. Upwards it passes out of the box to a 90 elbow feeding into the diet regulator it passes on through this unregulated to the syrup regulator, and also down to the diet dial and then tap. It looks to me that this diet regulator could be replaced by a Norgren secondary regulator, but I'm not taking mine apart any further!!!!
aka Rhys

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Clearing my computer desktop of collected detritus I came across these which illustrate the "compound manifold" in my earlier post. The manifolds being discussed more recently in this thread would represent what I described as "complex manifold".
20180322_134005_WEB.jpg
The regulators are the NR200s I mentioned in a later post. Norgen make similar stand alone regulators, but they are considerably more expensive.

The "primary" regulator is out of shot but you do see the gauge indicating 3BAR to supply the "secondary" regulators. The "bus" line at 3BAR is protected by a PRV rated at 75PSI.

The photo is telling a bit of a lie. But it does show-off the versatility of this management method. The kegs aren't full of beer being served at 12PSI, they are full of beer undergoing primary fermentation (under pressure). These regulators have an accurate built-in "relieving" feature, and are being used here as "spunding" valves. Beats those crappy PRVs usually used as "spunding" valves.

The regulators have a check valve attached as these type of regulators can vent the output side if the input side drops to zero (hence the CO2 cylinder is attached even though the regulators are being used as "spunding" valves and don't need the CO2). The tidy pneumatic/hydraulic connectors look the biz, but are actually cheaper than commonly used pushfit (e.g. John Guest) fittings.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing