How to batch prime a SS Chronical

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
razzrockbolt
Steady Drinker

How to batch prime a SS Chronical

Post by razzrockbolt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm

I recently bought a 1/2bbl chronical fermenter. Previously in my plastic fermenting buckets I have always batch primed before bottling. I was wondering how I might go about batch priming using the chronical. I would rather not transfer into a bucket to add the priming sugar if I can help it. What do other chronical owners do?

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: How to batch prime a SS Chronical

Post by chefgage » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:09 pm

How did you batch prime in your plastic fermenters? I have always transfered to a bottling bucket then batch primed. That way all the trub/yeast/sediment gets left behind and not stired up into the bottled beer.

I have a SS chronical and i adopt the same method i.e. out of the chronical into a bottling bucket then batch prime and bottle

razzrockbolt
Steady Drinker

Post by razzrockbolt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks for the response. I guess I was hoping to just bottle straight from the fermenter after dumping the yeast. I went with my usual bottling bucket approach for the bottles and separately primed the king keg and mini kegs.

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 pm

I can recirculate my 1/2bbl conical (not a Chronical) with a pump attached to the racking port and a return via the sampling port (the Chronical seems to have one?). It would then be a simple matter to work in a vessel with priming solution and recirculate for as long as needed. If the pump isn't particularly powerful it can't introduce air/oxygen or stir up the yeast.

I use the pump to transfer into kegs, and the recirculation via a chiller for temperature control (which you don't need with a Chronical). I don't use the recirculation anymore because I fitted external cooling pipes; but I learnt doing this NOT to use silicone tubing for fermented beer (it introduces a lot of oxygen).
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing