10L cheap pressure keg recommendation

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
The_Antikveik
Tippler

Re: 10L cheap pressure keg recommendation

Post by The_Antikveik » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:43 am

floydmeddler wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:14 pm
The_Antikveik wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:24 pm
Nice tidy job, but I'm wondering why you didn't just go for a reconditioned 12L cornelius keg, which make great pressure rated FVs for small batches. Comparable price, if you shop around. Add a floating dip tube and it's difficult to beat.
I'd no idea these existed :lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly what I was after.

I fancied a project so still happy enough.
Yeah, I've been using an otherwise redundant pair of corny kegs as pressure FVs for a while now. I wish I'd used them as FVs sooner, tbh. Works like a charm. Stainless seems to be easier to clean, food safe and impermeable to O2 as well. I'd definitely recommend them for fermentation, pressure fermentation and natural conditioning smaller batches. And serving, too, of course.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: 10L cheap pressure keg recommendation

Post by floydmeddler » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:25 pm

I use cornys for fermenting beers that I don't need to dry hop like Weizens etc. I love it. So handy. I've heard of people insisting on floating dip tubes or cutting the dip tube so that it's off the yeast. I've never bothered. First pour is a load of yeast, but it clears up after that. Would be perfect for yeast harvesting as long as your tap is sterile. Little party taps would be perfect for it. I haven't done this yet, but keep meaning to.

I really push it to the max. I ferment the full 19L and add a blow off tube to the gas post. Have removed the pressure valve and added a blow off tube there, too. Better option as less chance of clogging.