Blocked keg?

A forum to discuss the various ways of getting beer into your glass.
Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Blocked keg?

Post by Rankin_leigh » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:32 pm

Hey guys haven’t been on here for while due to home life taking over. Gradually hoping to get back to it.
Having trouble with keg pour, is just nothing

Just did my 2nd AG batch on my new set up (gradually working on it for 2 years when I could - with the hope that bigger set up means less brew days to accommodate).
I did a Closed pressure transfer, that to be honest was way to high, up around 25psi, only realised when it went so quick.

It poured ok for about a 3rd pint, but not sure if something clogged. But then just turned to foam, then spluttering foam.
Naturally I really don’t want to start opening the keg to have a look and oxidase a whole keg.
And I don’t think much crap will have got in. I brewed 35l as will bottle the other 15l or so that still in fermenter so no where near the cake, but equally do run 3/16 lines so guess it doesn't take much.

Any ideas?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 2507 times

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Blocked keg?

Post by LeeH » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:34 pm

Blockage will be in the poppet.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Post by Rankin_leigh » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:47 pm

LeeH wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:34 pm
Blockage will be in the poppet.
Any tips for clearing it without spoiling the beer?

LeeH
Under the Table

Blocked keg?

Post by LeeH » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:49 pm

You could blow some gas down it to prove it’s that but it will block up again I would have thought.

Or unscrew it (deep socket 22mm ish from memory) and clean it out. Keg will be full of co2 so very limited damage.

You only need 2-3 psi to transfer.

Also use a floating tube with a filter on, they work well.
Last edited by LeeH on Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:53 pm

Rankin_leigh
Steady Drinker

Post by Rankin_leigh » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:12 pm

Thanks,
I use dip tubes with those on the end for fermenter, and dip tubes in the kegs - haven't put the filters on the kegs as figured mk othing chunky should be getting through.

I'll get my spanner out 🙂

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:58 pm

Once when I dry hopped with pellets some got into the keg and I had to remove the poppet from the post and the spring / gubbins out of the disconnect to have a clear path to serve the beer.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Trefoyl wrote:Once when I dry hopped with pellets some got into the keg and I had to remove the poppet from the post and the spring / gubbins out of the disconnect to have a clear path to serve the beer.
This is a good idea. Just don’t take the disconnect off under pressure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:16 am

As LeeH has said, the most likely blockage is in the poppet. So depressurise the keg and take the post off.

Have some tea towels around to catch any beer that comes out.

Don’t worry about oxidation - it won’t happen. The surface area you are exposing is tiny, you’ll be opening it for seconds, and when you’re done you just pour out a quarter pint to make sure the exposed beer is gone and the beer line is full of liquid.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:59 pm

Jocky wrote:Don’t worry about oxidation - it won’t happen. The surface area you are exposing is tiny, you’ll be opening it for seconds, and when you’re done you just pour out a quarter pint to make sure the exposed beer is gone and the beer line is full of liquid.
The exposed beer would only get poured if a floating dip tube was used, otherwise it’s beer from the bottom that is getting drawn. Still not likely an issue anyway.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:34 am

.... and it still has a co2 blanket.

LeeH
Under the Table

Blocked keg?

Post by LeeH » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:30 pm

MashBag wrote:.... and it still has a co2 blanket.
An old home brew myth given how easily gases mix. But some truth I suppose given the time it takes and the size of the aperture.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:45 pm

..and a live brew. But yeah I know what you mean. The point was really if the corny has co2/mixed gas and was vented well, removing and servicing the poppit does not change that . Oxygen isn't going to rush in a spoil the beer like a wild dog :D

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:33 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:59 pm
Jocky wrote:Don’t worry about oxidation - it won’t happen. The surface area you are exposing is tiny, you’ll be opening it for seconds, and when you’re done you just pour out a quarter pint to make sure the exposed beer is gone and the beer line is full of liquid.
The exposed beer would only get poured if a floating dip tube was used, otherwise it’s beer from the bottom that is getting drawn. Still not likely an issue anyway.
If you’re only taking off the post you don’t need to open the lid.

Any beer exposed to oxygen will be at the top of the dip tube and go out as soon as you run some beer out.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:40 am

No update.

Maybe he is unscrewed it under pressure and us too busy redecorating the kitchen.