Clarity Ferm Enzyme

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
Ben711200

Clarity Ferm Enzyme

Post by Ben711200 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:49 pm

As sold by Rob here

I thought it may be useful to have a specific thread about this product here. If I understand right, this product will make any 'normal' beer I make safe for coeliacs? I notice that the packaging says 'gluten reduced' rather than gluten free. What experience do people have of this product? Any good? Would you happily and confidently give beer made with it to a coeliac? That's the bit I fear.. I don't want to believe it is 'safe' only for it to cause damage...

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Clarity Ferm Enzyme

Post by Dave S » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:31 am

A statement from the manufacturer might be useful here.
Best wishes

Dave

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:31 pm

There is plenty of data out there if you Google the enzyme name rather than clarityferm. I've been wanting to try it four 4 or 5 years as the European agents didn't want to sell it to me in sensible quantities, and blocked whitelabs from selling it to retailers here in the UK

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:35 pm

Hi Ben
Ben711200 wrote:If I understand right, this product will make any 'normal' beer I make safe for coeliacs? I notice that the packaging says 'gluten reduced' rather than gluten free. What experience do people have of this product? Any good? Would you happily and confidently give beer made with it to a coeliac? That's the bit I fear.. I don't want to believe it is 'safe' only for it to cause damage...
... I'm not coeliac but, like many a brewer, have coeliac friends who I would like to brew GF beer for ... from my reading around this, it appears that it's important to recognise that not all "gluten intolerants" are tolerant/intolerant to gluten to the same extent, and the science shows they're not all intolerant to the same aspects of gluten either :?

I'd suggest that anyone thinking of usig this to try to make a gluten reduced/free beer should read that post on HBT (link), which seems to summarise the pros and cons of this approach ... and maybe get their coeliac "guinea pig" (the person they're making the beer for, if they're not brewing for themselves) to read it too. Ultimately they're the ones who will have to "test" the claims about this stuff removing the gluten :?

Cheers, PhilB

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:37 pm

I used ClarityFerm in a Geordie Mild kit recently.
OK it says on the vial it destroys gluten but we were of course a little nervous.
I'm glad to report my coeliac wife had no reaction at all to the finished beer (apart from pleasure)
Her first barley-based beer for 8 years

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:44 am

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 am

oldbloke wrote:I used ClarityFerm in a Geordie Mild kit recently.
OK it says on the vial it destroys gluten but we were of course a little nervous.
I'm glad to report my coeliac wife had no reaction at all to the finished beer (apart from pleasure)
Her first barley-based beer for 8 years
I used it on my Faux Kreik recently (those at The Last Spring Thing may remember it), my wife has tried it, and has had no reactions at all, which is great . . . apart from having to by it now for every beer I brew :( . . . Golden Beers are lower in gluten anyway, It will be interesting to see how well it works in the darker beers . . . and I think that whatever I do it won't make a Wheat beer safe :lol:

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Aleman wrote: and I think that whatever I do it won't make a Wheat beer safe :lol:
There are wheat beers and there are WHEAT beers. Lowering the percentage of wheat from 50 to 25 (or less) might work.
I'm just here for the beer.

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:20 pm

Yeah but at 25% the wheat becomes an adjunct rather than the main event :D

seymour

Post by seymour » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Stone Brewing Co, the San Diego brewer of Arrogant Bastard and other legendary beers has made their first "reduced gluten beer." Check-out this link for a great commentary, video, etc. They basically fashioned a delicious IPA as they always do, with 100% barley, none of the usual gluten-free substitutes such rice, quinoa, sorghum, buckwheat. They used their normal ale yeast plus White Lab Clarity-Ferm.

I doubt Stone Delicious IPA is yet available on your side of the pond, but I've had it and it's delicious. I can vouch that it doesn't "lessen" the beer in any way. 7.7% abv, 80 IBU.

http://blog.stonebrewing.com/index.php/ ... icious-ipa
http://www.stonebrewing.com/deliciousipa/