Millet & GF Barley malt extract updates

A forum to discuss anything related to making gluten-free versions of those brews that would otherwise be off limits to coeliacs.
simon12
Hollow Legs

Millet & GF Barley malt extract updates

Post by simon12 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Just an update for anyone who was following my previous threads and started a new one so anyone new who stubbles across it can get straight to where im at.
Malted millet:
I am now going to get a sample amount from Kenya despite the ridiculous delivery charge to decide if it makes good enough beer to make commercially which I hope to do soonish.
Unmalted millet:
Last experiment that went wrong found that the filter had come off the mash tun so will try again when I get some more enzyme.
Gluten free barley malt syrup/extract:
I am waiting for prices from the manufacturer in Finland who say they have sent me a 28Kg sample (Previously I got it from a UK distributor) they seem very keen to offer it at different colour levels etc. but seem in no hurry to give me a price. When I get the 28Kg I will offer some to form members in return for feedback.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: Millet & GF Barley malt extract updates

Post by Jocky » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Great to hear you are doing such things.

I'm certainly interested in the grain - let us know what you find.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:56 am

Good stuff. I hope it works out. Being a ceoliac I really miss being able to play around with extract brews - sadly, despite all of the good reports I'm not willing to put my trust in clarity ferm so I'd be very keen to see what results are achievable with the extract and/or millet.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:32 am

Millet definitely works well. Even though it's malted, chuck in some amylase anyway. Don't forget to roast some or all of it to get a colour and flavour you like.
If I had an easy way to do it I'd malt my own, but I can only really rig up gear to do enough for a single gallon.