2 can coopers come out really quite nice

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
bigtoe

2 can coopers come out really quite nice

Post by bigtoe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:24 pm

2 Can with a difference.

1 Can Coopers APA
1 Can Cooper Real Ale
1.5lbs of honey
both kit yeast
brewed long to 24L for this batch, it fermented out at 5.15%, dropped right in at 1.010 at 21c
Dry hopped with 15g Crystal hops for 5days before racking at 18c.

To start (1 week in bottle) it was dry, quite bitter, now however (4 weeks in bottle) its settled right down and is quite pleasant =P~

I have a second batch getting near bottling time, this one no honey, just the 2 cans to 20L, this will drop just over 6% and is already quite nice from the hydrometer jar. Im not going to dry hop this one, just see how it come out bare.

I have 2 cans left and will do a 3rd brew using both cans, with 1.5KG medium spray malt and will dry hop with 15g cascade, brewed to 21L it should still be 6% or so.

Then its Grainfather time i think...going to be interesting moving to extract and grain only brews.

leon103

Re: 2 can coopers come out really quite nice

Post by leon103 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Sounds good. Did you get much honey taste?

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:10 pm

A little, being honest using 1.5lbs of honey as a fermentable I thought I may have.

I have been reading this past week about when its best to add the honey, a few US sites are saying late in the fermenting stage, 1 quoting dry hop and add honey 5 days before crashing and racking...adding this extracted max taste from the honey and added that sweetness as by now the yeast are more tired.

May just add some to the 3rd brew with the hops and see how it comes out

leon103

Post by leon103 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:59 pm

I did some when mixing the contents of the can and some at priming stage but can't really taste the honey

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:07 am

leon103 wrote:I did some when mixing the contents of the can and some at priming stage but can't really taste the honey
I often prime (batch) with honey, its only 100g or so though so you will never get honey taste from it. I think the lads in the US may have it right, if you want to taste the honey add it late in the day...a week before bottling maybe so just as the yeast has really slowed down.

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Updating this as I did a second brew, this time dead easy, no honey, no hops, just shorter brew. Same 2 cans with both yeast pitched, this time 20L with it fermenting out at a midges over 6% ABV, it should touch 6.2% ABV in the bottle.

Its young in the bottle and not totally cleared...but oh my it has some promise. Batched primed its still settling down and could be a little over carbonated to be perfect...we shall see.

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:47 am

You should look up the Cooper Extra Strong Vintage Ale recipe :wink:

I brewed the one with Nelson Sauvin a few years back, and for some reason put most of it in a pressure barrel for Xmas. It was a messy few days :beer:

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

gazza1

Post by gazza1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:30 am

Hi
Excuse my ignorance, new to brewing and only done the one brew so far ( woodfords Wherry),
but do you need to add sugars or spray malt to the 2 cans of Coopers ??

Thanx

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:49 am

gazza1 wrote:Hi
Excuse my ignorance, new to brewing and only done the one brew so far ( woodfords Wherry),

Thanx
No it's not essential, it all comes down to your desired final strength of a particular brew.

Just be aware that when brewing with 2 single can kits, you will end up with more bitterness than normal.

Cheers

MB
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am

Monkeybrew wrote:
gazza1 wrote:Hi

Thanx
No it's not essential, it all comes down to your desired final strength of a particular brew.

Just be aware that when brewing with 2 single can kits, you will end up with more bitterness than normal.

Cheers

MB
Thats what had me worried, however the APA is not that bitter hence i decided to have a go with it and the real ale kit.

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:52 am

Monkeybrew wrote:You should look up the Cooper Extra Strong Vintage Ale recipe :wink:

I brewed the one with Nelson Sauvin a few years back, and for some reason put most of it in a pressure barrel for Xmas. It was a messy few days :beer:

Cheers

MB
Yeah I found it....7.5%abv...not surprised it was a messy xmas ;)

funny how they used APA and the Real Ale...i did not know of that recipe and just decided to pretty much go that way based on the bitterness values.

Its a nice brew, right now the second batch is tasting a little boozy which i hope will mellow away in the bottle. noticed from the first batch serving cold is not good either, has to be around 10 to 12c to get the best from it.

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:24 pm

So a few more weeks in now, its getting colder outside (my bottle store is outdoors) and i have to say this brew is utterly fantastic. I may tweak it with slightly more dry hops (20g) and 2L less water and brew it to 6% ABV.

It actually reminds me a little of Marstons Strong Pale Ale...just not as strong.

Wonder what is would be like dry hopped with Cascade ?

;)

MattyBoy

Post by MattyBoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Just setting one of these up

1 x can APA

1 x can Real Ale

20L Volume

OG 1.049

How did you get an OG for final ABV 6.0% Tony?

hazelbrew

Post by hazelbrew » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Looks like he added 1.5 pounds of honey on top of the two kits, and brewed longer to 24 litres.

What does brewers friend work this out as? And have you made it yet?

MattyBoy

Post by MattyBoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Hydrometer error...

Just got a different hydrometer and it's reading 1.056

Just goes to show...

So FG should be just over 6%

I'll be pitching a yeast starter made with both sachets at 16.00 hrs