Fuller's ESB clone

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Fuller's ESB clone

Post by adamzworld » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:58 am

I have a couple of wherry kits which I need to get brewed as they have gone passed their best before date. I was hoping to use one of them to brew an ESB clone. I was thinking about brewing it short to increase the ABV then set hopping to try and replicate the flavour. Has anyone done anything similar using a wherry kit and did it turn out any good? Also what hops do I need to add when I dry hop it? Cheers, Adam

demig
Hollow Legs

Re: Fuller's ESB clone

Post by demig » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:06 pm

Loads of wherry tweaks out there. Brew short to 20l with 500g of dme and dry hop for 5 days with ekg works well using a better yeast. That's not really a esb clone but nice beer. I just lob the hops in the fv after 5 days and rack it 5 days later. About 75g of hops in my case but if you search for Saracens wherry tweak you'll find loads similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Demig. I thought I might need to add dme to give it a bit more body. I don't mind if it's not quite as strong, I just like the flavour. Already have some Garvin's ale yeast so will get the hops and dme ordered and get the brew going. Cheers, Adam

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:40 pm

It's a nice pint, worth sticking a few bottles away for a good long time, just had one that I made over a year ago and it was a cracking beer. Do AG these days but sorely tempted to brew another wherry as it was that good!

woblylegs
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by woblylegs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 pm

best wherry i ever done was short brewed to 18 litres. after 3 month in corny it was lovely.
lifes what you make it!

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:58 pm

That's worth paying attention to woblylegs makes a nice beer, maybe trim that brewlength to 18! Did you add dme wobly?

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 pm

no just the kit. time is a big factor with a wherry kit. let it be for a few months and the rewards are there
lifes what you make it!

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:20 am

Yeah I've found that, done it a couple of times and both times a decent conditioning time was a real benefit. The really old stuff was lovely.

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:22 am

woblylegs wrote:best wherry i ever done was short brewed to 18 litres. after 3 month in corny it was lovely.
I'd definitely agree that patience is the key with Wherry and it improves the longer you leave it to condition.

Just out of interest, do you recall what sort of strength it was when you brewed it to 18L?

Cheers,

Adam

MyQul

Post by MyQul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:42 pm

If you want to try to get as close to Fullers ESB as you can (flavour wise), I believe F-ESB uses challenger and northdown as the late hops so make a hop tea from these hops and add it at bottling time. If you want to get even closer you could culture up the yeast from a bottle of Fullers Bengal Lancer or Fullers 1849

woblylegs

Post by woblylegs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:15 pm

adamzworld wrote:
woblylegs wrote:best wherry i ever done was short brewed to 18 litres. after 3 month in corny it was lovely.
I'd definitely agree that patience is the key with Wherry and it improves the longer you leave it to condition.

Just out of interest, do you recall what sort of strength it was when you brewed it to 18L?

Cheers,

Adam
sorry i cannot remember Adam.
lifes what you make it!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Adam,
Not Fullers, but a different Wherry. Well worth a look and I`ve loved reading all the posts.
The recipe I used is on the 6th post, read them all because I left something out at the start.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66952&hilit=+elc+wherry

Have Fun and drink responsibly! #-o

WA

adamzworld
Hollow Legs

Post by adamzworld » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Cheers WA. I just read the thread and your ELC sounds bloody lovely mun! Not sure if I would be able to sink too many at 7.1% though!!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:43 pm

adamzworld wrote:Cheers WA. I just read the thread and your ELC sounds bloody lovely mun! Not sure if I would be able to sink too many at 7.1% though!!
adamz,
Just tell your friends and family it is `only` 4.5% honest. Then let the fun begin! :D

WA

Always renemver to grink reshponshibly! Hic #-o