Youngs Mocha Porter

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
kendizle
Tippler

Youngs Mocha Porter

Post by kendizle » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 pm

After visiting a brew store, I came away with a Mocha Porter Kit (amongst other items. Ive now mixed this & found it really easy. added a brew enhancer to help neutralise the tap water chlorine and feed the yeast. One thing i forgot (again) was to take a S.G. before I pitched the yeast. I remembered after Id given it a stir, so I took a sample and read the hydrometer at about 1.052. having mioxed this following the instructions to 17.5l. I

Will the fact that my sample contains some yeast, affect the reading by a great deal? or is 1.052 about where you'd expect the S.G to be? If I then get this down to 1.010, this should give me 5.5%abv. It will be kept in a room at a constant 21c (instructions say 20-22c). Happy to take any guidance on here about what an ideal temp should be. Im expecting 2 weeks on this one as my last brew was about the same. Then I will rack to a secondary & cold crash before....and here's my final dilemma.... am I best of bottling or putting into a pressure barrel (having just bought 2 barrels).

The smell is amazing and its going to be a long wait for this to be ready to be enjoyed.

Thanks in advance

Ken
Attachments
B2.JPG
B3.JPG
B3.JPG (22.86 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
B1.JPG

kendizle
Tippler

Re: Youngs Mocha Porter

Post by kendizle » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm

This has now been bottled and is tasting good following fermentation. Final Gravity was around 1.012. I bottled with about 60g dextrose diluted in a little cooled kettle water into the bottling bucket. I had read about others finding that the recommended amounts gave over carbonation. Looking good so far.

K

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Sounds lovely! Have you tried it yet? If so, how would you describe the taste?

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 pm

cwrw gwent wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:03 pm
Sounds lovely! Have you tried it yet? If so, how would you describe the taste?
Hi, I tried this on Wednesday. It tastes amazing. I know this may sound bold, but its as good as if not better than many ive bought in pubs. Deep & flavoursome, dark malt with that coffee bitterness. I wouldn't say it has a strong chocolate taste. Could add extra cocoa nibs after 1st week, but it really doesn't need it

I've enjoyed it so much that I ordered another kit, which arrived today. I will be brewing this after the summer, but will probably keg most of this and put the rest in bottles.

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:33 pm

The finished product
Attachments
mocha P (2).jpg

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Looks good! It sounds like it may be worth holding back a few bottles as I'm sure this will get even better after three or four months.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:55 am

kendizle wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 pm
added a brew enhancer to help neutralise the tap water chlorine
1/2 a Campden tablet will do this, brew enhancer is just an extra sugar source. Sounds like it didn't matter though from your report on how it has turned out. A good kit for someone wanting to try a dark beer for the first time?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks for the tip.

Yes I would recommend this kit for someone wanting a dark beer. I think the coffee & cocoa give this porter more character

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:48 pm

Since drinking this (2 bottles left) I've now decided to brew again but I added 100gms of cacao nibs. It's now conditioning in the garage. Another two weeks and I'll be drinking !

LeeH
Under the Table

Youngs Mocha Porter

Post by LeeH » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 pm

How does the brew enhancer neutralise tap water?

Sounds a tasty tipple though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel