Did i make a mistake?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:57 am

Hopkins, I use the youngs bins also 8)

You can buy the taps for £2.

If your going to buy another bin anyway I'd be a bit cheeky and take your current bin to the shop and ask if they'll fit a tap for you...they should if your buying another :wink:

I'm sure your ale will be fine :wink:

EDIT....damm my typing speed :D

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:58 am

I doubt Wilko will be too enthiusiastic about fitting a tap to a bin ;) No brew shops around here :)

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:05 am

No brew shops around here
You need to move :D

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:09 pm

I tested the gravity today (Got me a turker baster!)

And it was 1.020 (the froth got in the way but it seemed almost definatley 1.020). This is about after 4 days.

Sound normal? Smells ok :)

Orfy

Post by Orfy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:23 pm

Your ferment was late to start so you can expect it to take maybe 4 days if you have it at 20c+. If it's more towards 18c then it can take longer.
1020 means it's not finished. It should be around 1012/1010ish.
A real good ferment can take a day to show and be done a day later.

Check it again in 2 days.

I take it you're putting the sample in a hydrometer jar, if so wait till the froth settles and make sure yours sample is close to 20c to get an accurate reading.

This is good.
http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/h ... er_use.htm

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:38 pm

Excellent. Last question i promise.

Is there any harm leaving in the ferm bin longer than required? I mean if it's done and i leave it there it's no harm right?

Orfy

Post by Orfy » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:20 pm

No problems with the questions.

There is an opinion that leaving beer on the stuff at the bottom of a primary fermenter for too long can cause off tastes. If this is true or what too long is is open to debate.

It also depends if you are doing a secondary. If so then there is no reason to leave it in the primary fermenter for longer than required. If you are going straight to bottle then you want to leave it in longer so it settles out more. Say at least 10 days.

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:19 pm

After the primary is done it's straight to keg to condition for a few weeks at least.

It's sitting between 18-23 degrees. I wrapped a couple of towels and a dressing gown around held by bungee cords so it's relativley warm.

After another 3 days ill measure gravity and if it's done into the keg for a month.

Cheers for the replies :)

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:05 pm

The (OG 45) brew I did on Monday has been at around the 18C mark most of the time and was slow to start as a result.

It's only down to 24 today - I'm not worried. 8)
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:09 pm

Gravity at 1.018 today :)

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:24 pm

Gravity at 1.018 today
wey hey, it's on the move 8)

If your nice to your yeast, it'll work hard for you :wink:

Hoppkins

Post by Hoppkins » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:43 am

Happy to say it went to 1.012. I got it in the keg. Smelt gorgeous, cant wait :)