Car Tyre Valve in my pressure barrel

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Travis

Car Tyre Valve in my pressure barrel

Post by Travis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:26 am

I like to know how my beer is progressing in the pressure barrel from the fermenter. So I drilled the barrel & fitted a tyre valve. Now I can transfer from the fermenter into the pressure barrel & monitor the pressure using a budget digital tyre pressure gauge as the beer matures.

As I tap beer off I can see the pressure drop & top up with the CO2 cylinder to keep a constant pressure, this method allows me to use the minimum of CO2.

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Re: Car Tyre Valve in my pressure barrel

Post by Ditch » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:48 am

:shock: *Stunned*

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 am

:?

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:16 am

Nice one! Do you have a safety valve fitted though ?
Dan!

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 am

You can also use this to pressurise for serving by using a foot pump if you are going to use the whole barrel (at a party for example)
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

techtone

Post by techtone » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Some cyclists pump their tyres up using co2 cartridge pumps too :idea: :lol:

Travis

Post by Travis » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:08 pm

The standard cap with CO2 connector has a safety valve installed, I just drill the barrel I put in the tyre valve, I can monitor the pressure closely, not too high, not too low, saving on CO2

shooey

Post by shooey » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 pm

What a great idea!
Btw, here is a range of CO2 inflators
http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... cartridges
(Of course the CO2 in these might not be Food-Safe!)

Dabooka
Steady Drinker

Post by Dabooka » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:00 pm

So what kind of psi does it show out of curiosity? I've just grabbed myself a small pressure gauge from fleabay to fill the hole in my keg lid left over from when I replaced the old valve with a shiney new S30 (it was a spring release-pressure-type-thing).

I was just going to glue it down or leave it, but what can I say other than I love dials, knobs, valves, throw switches and all other such gubbins! :mrgreen:
FV1 - Cooper's English Bitter
FV2 - Patiently waiting... (Stout à la Ditch planned!)
Keg 1 - Patiently waiting...

Travis

Post by Travis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:48 am

I use a small budget digital gauge that shows whole numbers & decimal points. I started all this because the chap at the brew shop said just give the CO2 cylinder a one second squirt. Yes I said but how often? When it needs it he said. I went away with my cylinder & came up with the tyre valve approach. Now I can read exactly the pressure in the barrel, saving a lot of £s on gas.

dunc
Piss Artist

Post by dunc » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:02 pm

clever. =D>
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: Headcracker, Brewmaker Northumberland Brown, Brewmaker Export Bitter
Drinking: Coopers Euro Lager, Coopers Dark Ale, Hambleton Bard Amber Export, Coopers Aussie Pale Ale, Almondbury Old, Coopers Stout, Wherry w/Chinook
Planning: BOTW 80/-

cbucket

Post by cbucket » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Is the tyre valve stuck to the inside of the FV ? If so, what glue did you use. If not, how is it held there, just by pressure ? It is a really good idea BTW.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:04 pm

I laughed when I saw Ditchs responce. Then I remembered that a while ago, I was thinking of fitting a presure gauge to a keg to monitor it. This is a very simple Idea that might just work. And its bloody cheap too. A digital gauge cost about a fiver and the valves are about 25p each thats if you dont have one knocking around in your tool box, im sure I have. Think Im gonna give this a try. I've got some spare keg caps, so if it is a balls up, It wont be terminal. The hole required is 11.5mm they should be able to fit just as they would to a wheel rim. No glue cbucket.
Last edited by Normski on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Any chance of a few photos?

Travis

Post by Travis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 pm

How to fit the tyre valve? as my background is fleet maintenance, it’s not a problem for me, however, go down to your local tyre depot, ask them for a valve & to show how to fit it? when shown it’s very easy.

Measure the hole in the car wheel rim, as there maybe "2" valve sizes available, drill the same size hole in your barrel close enough to the neck so you can reach in & insert the valve through the hole, put some petroleum jell on it, push it through the hole from inside the barrel, get hold of the rubber neck with a pair of pliers & pull it through & into place, no glue or screws.

(I fit the the valve to the Pressure Barrel not the Fermenter)