Coopers Imperial Stout

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Coopers Imperial Stout

Post by bazookajoe » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:30 am

Finally got round to putting this one on (from recipe on Coopers site):

1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
1 can Coopers Lager
1kg Dextrose

Made up to 20 litres and all three sachets of yeast from the kits rehyrdated then pitched.

OG: 1084 as expected

Starting it off in a slightly bigger fermenting bucket for the extra headroom, though fully expecting it to go volcanic as per the usual stout. Guess I'll find out tomorrow night. Will probably rack off once it calms down.

Will also be interesting to see how it changes as it ages once bottled. Should be good around Christmas . Don't suppose anyone else has done this one? Stuck with the dextrose though was tempted to go for a dark sugar or something instead.

EliteEvil

Re: Coopers Imperial Stout

Post by EliteEvil » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 am

That sounds awesome. I made up a muntons imperial stout to 20 pints on top of a coopers stout yeast cake and that is/was great. Only got about 5 pints bottled though due to my woman going insane and running away to Slough with my garage (containing all my empty bottles) keys.

mat69

Post by mat69 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:42 am

bazookajoe wrote:Finally got round to putting this one on (from recipe on Coopers site):

1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
1 can Coopers Lager
1kg Dextrose .
thats one expensive brew :shock:

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:46 am

mat69 wrote:
bazookajoe wrote:Finally got round to putting this one on (from recipe on Coopers site):

1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
1 can Coopers Lager
1kg Dextrose .
thats one expensive brew :shock:
Thats just what I was thinking mat, thats 40+euro

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:53 am

Reckon it should work out about £1.10 a bottle, and about 8-9%. Fancied trying it out for a while and with that conditioning time it's obviously not one that's going to be getting knocked out regularly.

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:58 am

bazookajoe wrote:
1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
1 can Coopers Lager
1kg Dextrose

Made up to 20 litres.

OG: 1084 as expected.

:shock: OMFG!!! I am in Total Awe of ye! =D>

But, surely; That's not " Imperial ". That's f**king Insane! 1084? Breath taking!

Tell ye what though, Joe? If I was to be spending out That Much on kits to throw in there? I'd go sh!t or bust, man. I'd sling in at least a couple K of dried malt too. Give the 'Body' dept. a bit more 'Oomph'.

And, what's up with ye f**kers, bitching about 'It's about a quid a pint!' (The Horror!) Your local selling anything that could, potentially, taste like nectar and hit ye like cyanide, for anywhere Near that price? :|

Like the man says; Could be a Mo Fo for xmass. Either way, it has the potential for Legend :mrgreen:

Once again, tonight, I wish I could do a Tasting Tour of Ditch Destruction and 'see' what some of you other guys are putting together in the name of Stout Image

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:15 am

Here's the link to the bit on the Coopers website:

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-g ... sts&t=1707 though it doesn't really offer up too much info - more a rehash of a thread on an older coopers forum.

Pound a pint is still pretty good value for something like this I think. Equvalent cost of other Imperial Stouts on the shelf is much more - there's Brewdog Riptide and I'm pretty sure it's about the £2.40 for 300ml mark - and with that you have to endure their marketing. And imagine how much Guinness would charge - and I bet it still would manage to not actually taste of anything. Not to mention what a pub would charge or if minimum price per alcohol unit gets brought in.

For me, it's more trying something special. Yeah it would be great to go down the all-grain or brew in a bag route for something like this but do I have the time? Hell no. Two jobs, two kids and Sprocket the dog that needs his walks. I like the beermaking nice and simple and quick. Got everything for this brew sterilising in the fermentation bucket, read the youngest her bedtime story, then got set to work on getting the brew on at 10pm on a Saturday night. Can you imagine starting an all-grain at that time? Nah, simple and quick. Didn't take much time at all really, then a sit down with a nice cuppa. And Coopers Stout would still wipe the floor with most other brews whatever method is used. Think of this one as the stout's distant russian cousin that's come for a visit - bigger, fuller and you'll only see it once in a while, and when it's here it'll likely cause a bit of trouble.

Couple of points from the Coopers link - I did consider DME but the thread said "High gravity brews need sufficient simple sugars to help the yeast with attenuation, hence the addition of dextrose rather than Dry Malt or Maltodextrin" so stuck with the Dextrose this time around - I can always experiment next year. I think the yeast is being pushed to it's limits for this one which is why all 3 packets are used and it's chucked in rehydrated. Expected FG is around 1020 if you keep track of these things, though this will balance the bitterness of 3 kits to 20 litres. I'll admit my SG reading of 1084 was rough, it's thereabouts.

Ditch, you'd be welcome anytime for a tasting so if you ever head on a Tasting Tour, I'm in Edinburgh and I'd imagine the Imperial Stout will be around for some time.

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 am

EliteEvil wrote:That sounds awesome. I made up a muntons imperial stout to 20 pints on top of a coopers stout yeast cake and that is/was great. Only got about 5 pints bottled though due to my woman going insane and running away to Slough with my garage (containing all my empty bottles) keys.
What happened to the other 15 pints? Surely not down the sink?

I did the Muntons Imperial Stout a while back - turned out quite nice, aged to give a real gunpowdery taste.

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:07 am

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spud395

Post by Spud395 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:57 am

Ditch wrote:
And, what's up with ye f**kers, bitching about 'It's about a quid a pint!' (The Horror!) Your local selling anything that could, potentially, taste like nectar and hit ye like cyanide, for anywhere Near that price?
And thats why I dont go to my local :lol:
I guess my post could a been seen as negitave, it wasnt ment to be, that was my first thought.
This year allready I've 2 big brews made for next Christmas =D>

For me now time is cheap, so I prefer to pay half that in materials and put a days work into it, same difference :(

Anyway good work

EliteEvil

Post by EliteEvil » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:31 pm

bazookajoe wrote:And imagine how much Guinness would charge - and I bet it still would manage to not actually taste of anything.
Guiness do two "Foreign extra 7.5%", one bottled in Nigeria and one in Ireland. They are actually pretty good, the Irish one is harsher and better though.

My remaining imperial stout did eventually get bottled, but had sat in the fermenter for another 2-3 weeks (I have labeled it "Late Bottling") and has a harsh acidic taste to it, think it must have begun to oxidise as I don't seal my fermenters. :'(

mat69

Post by mat69 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Ditch wrote:
bazookajoe wrote:
1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
1 can Coopers Lager
1kg Dextrose

Made up to 20 litres.

OG: 1084 as expected.

And, what's up with ye f**kers, bitching about 'It's about a quid a pint!' (The Horror!) Your local selling anything that could, potentially, taste like nectar and hit ye like cyanide, for anywhere Near that price? :|
]
who's bitching,only pointed out it was expensive,which it is..is that alright with you ditch :wink:

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Considering a pint of Guinness costs me ..... sh!t! How much does it cost me?! :oops: I honestly don't bloody know! :mrgreen:

Anyway, I hand over four euro and get, ummm ..... thirty cents in change. Can't count, so don't ask me. So, yeah. Hell Yeah! Quid for a pint of something that'd leave Guinness standing on all levels? Perfectly alright with me! :shock:

Do ye seriously consider that expensive? I mean; If the stuff I make was costing me a quid a pint? Jesus, yeah! I'd be gutted! (And flat broke). But, for something as awesome as this bad boy sounds? Quid? FFS!

'Mind you; That said? I s'pose ye do have a point, if ye looking at the initial outlay. Three kits to make one keg? F**k, yeah. That's almost my own monthly outlay! Fair point. Factor in that I'd insist on adding some dried malt .....

If I could afford it though? The more I think about it, the more tempted I'd be to do one. Just for the experience :shock:

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Well, 24 hours in the froth was at the stout 'brain' stage, and going to bed thought that the larger fermenting barrel was doing it's job. Today it's escaping - 20litres of brew in a 33litre bucket and it's lifting the lid and oozing out. Fantastic stuff, I'd say all going well so far.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

:shock: =D> Get a photo, for godsake! This is history in the making! :mrgreen: