Coopers Imperial Stout

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
mark

Re: Coopers Imperial Stout

Post by mark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Ditch wrote: .........1084? Breath taking!

Tell ye what though, Joe? If I was to be spending out That Much on kits to throw in there? I'd go sh!t or bust, man. I'd sling in at least a couple K of dried malt too. Give the 'Body' dept. a bit more 'Oomph'.
1084 is nothing :)
My AG Imperial Stout tipped in at 1100 IIRC

The recipe probably needs the sugar to help you get a decent FG.....all malt would probably leave it a bit too sweet.
Let us know how it turns out please!

Ditch
Five figured forum fanatic

Post by Ditch » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:41 pm

mark wrote:1084 is nothing :)

:shock: And you live??? What was it; One small bottle a night?!

mark

Post by mark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:21 pm

Ditch wrote:
mark wrote:1084 is nothing :)

:shock: And you live??? What was it; One small bottle a night?!
Brewed June 2010.....I've put it all in to 330ml bottles.
I managed to hold off sampling until last month.....should just be comming right about Christmas this year if my taster was anything to go by.
I'll send you one for Christmas day :D

thompski

Post by thompski » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 pm

This sounds rather incredible, as Ditch said £1 a pint is still very reasonable, considering the price of a pint of even a decent real ale is considerably more (even in Asda). If investing more results in a cracking pint, I'm all for it!

Paddy Bubbles
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 am

Spud395 wrote:
mat69 wrote:
bazookajoe wrote:Finally got round to putting this one on (from recipe on Coopers site):

1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
1 can Coopers Lager
1kg Dextrose .
thats one expensive brew :shock:
Thats just what I was thinking mat, thats 40+euro
Shocking price for a homebrew, that's for sure. Two other things that would put me off doing this recipe:

1) do I want to wait 6 months for a beer to condition in the bottle?
2) do I want to be supping a 10% ABV beer? (I like mid-strength beers because I can drink more...!)

mark

Post by mark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:09 pm

6 months paddy? More like 12-18 (for AG anyway).
RIS is definately not a session beer :lol:

Paddy Bubbles
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Paddy Bubbles » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:16 pm

mark wrote:6 months paddy? More like 12-18 (for AG anyway).
RIS is definately not a session beer :lol:
Even worse so. Storage space is definitely an important factor for me, so I wouldn't like to be storing a single batch of beer for that long. Plus I'm always eager to get the beer drank and onto my next batch!! :)

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Well, thought an update was due.

Afraid I didn't get a photo of it in full glory of fermentation. However, I reckon if I had sat another 7 gallon barrel upturned on top it would have filled with the foam. Superb. Transferred into a clean FV once it calmed down, and bottled 3 weeks after first pitching the yest. Could have bottled after 2 weeks but didn't have the time. Finished around the target of 1020, so yay! Had a fly taster when bottling and it was fantastic.

Fully intended to wait until end of summer to try a bottle but it's been bloody freezing in Edinburgh over the weekend so sod it I've opened a bottle now and I'm totally amazed by the taste. It's like coopers stout and and then some. Bitter, malty, super roasty with that big punch of the higher alcohol content and richer, fuller body. That's as technical as I can manage, but I'm really glad I had a go at this brew it really tastes fantastic. Reckon by Christmas it should have developed into a superb special brew (if it lasts until then, I may need to get another on to make sure there's some for the festive season). You definitely wouldn't be knocking these ones back (or at least I wouldn't but then I'm a lightweight) but as an occasional beer it's something special. Happy Imperial Stout folks! I feel like the bottle should have a label with Darth Vader on it or something.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 am

:shock: Faaaarkk!!! He's gone 'n done it! :shock:

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:30 pm

Ditch wrote::shock: Faaaarkk!!! He's gone 'n done it! :shock:
I most certainly did, and glad about it. I'd say it was well worth the effort but it took no effort at all, didn't even have to worry bout thrashing in any spraymalt to make sure it dissolved.

been a while since i've had a Harviestoun Old Engine Oil but I reckon this brew is at least as good.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 pm

bazookajoe wrote: been a while since i've had a Harviestoun Old Engine Oil .....

A What?! :shock:

=D> I must So resist the temptation to get in a jet to EB and find myself wandering around. Knocking on random doors. Looking for you! :mrgreen:

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Managed to figure out how flickr works now. Unfortunately as I said, didn't get a photo of it in full blow, but there's a photo of it after it had calmed down a bit and now only oozing out from the FV. That's a 7 gallon container and there's foam up against the lid. Managed to resist opening another bottle so far just to see how it's coming along.

Ditch

Post by Ditch » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Very early days yet, Joe. But, do keep us abreast of developments on this one :D

Monkeybrew
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Monkeybrew » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Haha, is that red volcanic light coming from FV?
:twisted:
FV:

Conditioning:
AG#41 - Vienna Lager - 5.6%
AG#42 - Heritage Double Ale - 10.5%

On Tap:
AG#44 - Harvest ESB - 5.4%
AG#45 - Amarillo Gold APA - 5.2%

bazookajoe
Steady Drinker

Post by bazookajoe » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:26 pm

Ah well, recent threads bout imperial stout got me. thinking bout this old thread, so thought i'd report back on this brew.

Supping a bottle from my latest tankard from provenance coopering (ash half pint, no hoops, chrimbo present from my fab wife, highly recommend provenance coopering, i've got 3. Drinking from a wooden tankard, bloomiin great, makes me want to shout to Sprocket the dog 'landlord, a pint of your finest ale' though he's sleeping on the back of the chair at the window so that'd scare the bejeesus out of him, best leave him be) .

Anyway, back to the brew. Simply put, it's chuffing great. From the first whiff on opening the bottle, that rich roasty taste, the bitternesss that almost sends a shiver down your spine, just almst, before being caught by the sweet madeira flavours that slap you round the chops. Aw man, it's sublime.

I'd recommend bottling in 300ml bottles, I did 500ml and halfway through i'm merry to say the least. Definately a brew i'll be doing again, reckon i'll get one going in March again only this time i'll take a photo of it in full glory of the eruption.

Now, where's the crisps, and I shouldn't really have another, especially on a school night but by jimmeny it's good, all those flavours, and that's from kits, I tells y'all, kits, with no effort at all, to get a brew this good. Y'know if anyone is near Embru i'd happily share the fabness of this brew.