Woodforde's Wherry Kit - Fast Completion?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Stomach
Under the Table

Re: Woodforde's Wherry Kit - Fast Completion?

Post by Stomach » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:27 am

I cant wait to get my Wherrys on!! My mouth is watering on this thread!! haha!

I need a bigger airing cupboard to get more FV's in and brew more at a time!! :D

Fermenting:-
FV 1 - Festival Spiced Winter Ale
FV 2 - Empty
FV 3 - Empty
FV 4 - Ditches Stout

Drinking:-
Keg 1 - Nothing

Conditioning:-

Bottles - Brewferm Winter Ale
Bottles - Brewferm Triple

Next
Work in progress
Old Tin of Coopers Cerveza
Couple of old tins of stuff to experiment with!

IanF78

Post by IanF78 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:44 am

Hey, consider yourself lucky you've got so many FVs, I'm working with one FV and one pressure barrel, when i put my second batch on, I had to sanitise a 10l garden bucket and treat my water in 2 batches before adding to the FV cos i didn't have another vessel that could hold that much water. . . I normally drop it in from the pressure barrel tap, for nice aeration, but the barrel was full of wherry at the time..

I'm not looking forward to bottling day, with my current bargain-basement amount of kit!

Stomach
Under the Table

Post by Stomach » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:00 pm

IanF78 wrote:Hey, consider yourself lucky you've got so many FVs, I'm working with one FV and one pressure barrel, when i put my second batch on, I had to sanitise a 10l garden bucket and treat my water in 2 batches before adding to the FV cos i didn't have another vessel that could hold that much water. . . I normally drop it in from the pressure barrel tap, for nice aeration, but the barrel was full of wherry at the time..

I'm not looking forward to bottling day, with my current bargain-basement amount of kit!
I may have 3 FV's but only room for one at a time. The other two come in useful when I am sanitising bottles, and the one with a tap is my batch priming/bottleling bucket. :D
However, the nursery is quite a constant temp at the mo, so I may stick one in there with me Wherry!! haha! :mrgreen:

I collected my kit over a short period looking for bargains. I srated off with a genuine Woodfordes Microbrewery. I then needed some more kit and a well know on line homebrew site were selling there version of the microbrewery and with another free Wherry chucked in and some discount vouchers, it was well worth the £59.00 A few issues later and it wasnt a good a deal (long story!) But from that, I had more kit and 2 Wherrys.

If you can, its well worth getting an FV for bottling. It can double up as your water treatment bucket (I dont treat water yet, thats next!) and you can pick up a 2 litre jug from Morrisons for 99p, sanitise it and drop it into your FV/wort at height and it areates lovely!

Cheers

FV 2 - Empty
FV 3 - Empty
FV 4 - Ditches Stout

Keg 1 - Nothing

Next
Work in progress

IanF78

Post by IanF78 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:16 pm

I think i might have bought the microbrewery kit from the same place, i think i just missed out on the extra Wherry kit offer, and only got one for my sixty quid.. seemed like a good deal still, and no issues with any of the kit, yet!

I think all of the components of those microbreweries you buy online are made by Young's, right? It just comes in a box with a sticker on indicating what Woodfordes kit it comes with. By 'genuine' are you saying there's a Woodforde's version with Woodforde's branded gear, or just that some of the components are different?

As far as i could tell there were some places selling a thinned-down version of the kit, with a few less accessories, but calling it the same thing and charging more or less the same for it. Being a tight yorkshireman, i hunted down the one that had most equipment in.

Stomach
Under the Table

Post by Stomach » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:36 pm

If you buy the genuine Woodfordes Microbrewery, it comes in box with Woodfordes all over it. All the equipment is Youngs and you get:-

Keg
FV - Huge one!
Airlock
Injector system and a bulb
Brass C02 cap for keg
spoon
Sticky strip thermometer
Wherry Kit
Hydrometer
Trial Jar

The other one I got, the equipment was Richies and you didnt get an airlock, strip thermometer, trial jar, injector system and bulb. But I did get the offer with 2 Wherry kits.

A trading standards issue probably! :D

FV 2 - Empty
FV 3 - Empty
FV 4 - Ditches Stout

Keg 1 - Nothing

Next
Work in progress

IanF78

Post by IanF78 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:28 pm

Yup, the genuine one is what i've got then. quite pleased with it. It's a nice introduction to the game at a nice price, particularly when the wherry is fermented and sitting in the barrel after a week. . bish bash bosh, job's a good'un.

as much as i'm envious of those people on here who have got all the kit, multiple FVs and barrels, cornies, bottling equipment etc, and do more in-depth AG brewing, it's nice to be able to get started with the bare essentials and no idea what you're doing, and produce something worthwhile for not much outlay.

Stomach
Under the Table

Post by Stomach » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:15 pm

Its a great kit to start off with. Thats where I started and I havent looked back....yet! :D

Dont forget, you can have all the kit but no idea.... (is that me?) :mrgreen:

Just collect bits of kit as and when you can!

FV 2 - Empty
FV 3 - Empty
FV 4 - Ditches Stout

Keg 1 - Nothing

Next
Work in progress

sinnerman

Post by sinnerman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:38 pm

My last wherry has been a bit quick as well but to clear rather than complete, its dropped bright in 5 days and its a lovely colour, the last one i did never properly cleared so i'm well impressed,

Maybey using some SA04 instead of the kit yeast was a worthwhile experiment.

IanF78

Post by IanF78 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Ah, i've heard much of this SA04, yeast of champions, so legend tells.

I've just used the kit yeast for my 2 Wherry kits, and the first dropped clear in about a week, the second has been in the barrel since friday, and today's sample is a lot clearer than yesterday's, so it looks like it's going the same way. Maybe it's just luck, or maybe they've altered the standard kit yeast recently after all the talk of stuck fermentations and problems clearing. Either way, i refuse to believe it's anything i've done differently to the many people who have had problems, i just don't know enough about the game to take credit for it turning out alright! :oops:

You can imagine how chuffed i've been with it, having read so many stories about it being a right sod of a kit and taking forever, and then having it turn out so well.

WIll that cushion the blow if the cheap kit i'm doing now turns out to be pish, or will it make me wish i'd got another wherry.. who knows.

JoshD

Post by JoshD » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi - I completed a Wherry kit very successfully late last year, all pretty much according to the book ( = instructions). Everyone though it was delicious (especially me!). I started my second kit on Sunday evening, using only one of the two tins and the whole yeast sachet. Pre-yeast I took a reading of 1044 @ 24 degrees (a bit warm, I know). It brewed like topsy! Nice brown gunk spewing out and noises like a lion with indigestion throughout the night (the FV is in my bedroom). After less than 2 days (c. 40 hours) it had gone quiet and seemed to be done. I opened it up and the reading was 1011 @ 20 degrees. No bubbles are coming through. I gave it a good stir, no more yeast and sealed it up again. Shall I bottle it tonight, after only 48 hours? Does the effective double quantity of yeast make a difference or not really? It has now got oxygen on it and does not seem to be bubbling. I don’t want it to go mouldy.

kendizle
Tippler

Post by kendizle » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:19 am

Im no expert, but I'm sure all the seasoned brewers on here would tell you not to bottle after 2 days, leave it two weeks so it has a good chance to clean up and clear. Patience delivers you a tasty beer