lorimers best scotch recipe

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Wekslap
Piss Artist

Re: lorimers best scotch recipe

Post by Wekslap » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:13 pm

I'll try to send you what info I've got. Bit of a dummy on attaching documents. Will it be easier by email?
Always walk softly, but carry a big stick!

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:19 pm

Lorimer's scotch was produced for Vaux for donkeys years brewed specifically for the north east taste. I can try to send you some of the info I've got but I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to attaching documents etc. Would it be easier by email?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 am

Yes, Lorimer's main market was the North East of England, but feel this was more due to their beer's quality than their targeting of a marketplace.

I drank it in the Wellington Tavern in Southwick off Stoney Lane before it was demolished in the sixties or thereabouts. It was the only draught beer on sale there, where it was frequently "on song" and irresistible if one had enough coin of the realm to avoid going home. As you said, it wasn't powerful and could be drank all night without one becoming stupid, or at lunchtime sinking a couple of pints to still be capable of producing enough work in the afternoon to have a job to return to the following day.

There's a PM on the way with my email address.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by seymour » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Wekslap wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 pm
Its Early days yet as just put it on, ergo fingers crossed remark. But using online research, and books by Protz and Howarth, and a lot of help from Seymour, I've finally given it a try. I've a couple of suggested recipes but trying Seymour's first.
Sounds great, how's it coming along?

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:13 am

Hiya Sensei. Not sure if I may have a stuck ferment! Was my first brew using a refractometer. Was 9 brix before pitching yeast (MJ M03 Newcastle dark ale), and today, day 19, brix reading of 5. Should I leave it and keg regardless after 3 weeks? Or add some Nottingham or S04? Any help greatly appreciated. Had high hopes for this beer and would hate to ruin it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 am

Wekslap wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:13 am
Hiya Sensei. Not sure if I may have a stuck ferment! Was my first brew using a refractometer. Was 9 brix before pitching yeast (MJ M03 Newcastle dark ale), and today, day 19, brix reading of 5. Should I leave it and keg regardless after 3 weeks? Or add some Nottingham or S04? Any help greatly appreciated. Had high hopes for this beer and would hate to ruin it.
A refractometer reading will not convert simply to specific gravity when alcohol is present. There are calculators claimed to compensate for the effect of alcohol in a sugar solution, but am not yet convinced of their accuracy and still use a hydrometer for gravity measurements in the FV.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 pm

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:16 am

scotsloon wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 pm
There's a recipe on this page.
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2016 ... clark.html
Thanks for this, but it's not quite the beer that was known to and loved by many and under discussion here. Nonetheless, thank you for finding that valuable read. In it Ron suggests SA might stand for Scots Ale or Strong Ale, but when first coming across SA in a brewing record I assumed it stood for Stock Ale, a strong keeping beer that would later be blended with a weaker beer before being put out to trade.

What really interested me was their use of caramel which I think was used to get the colour in the Lorimer's Scotch discussed here. All my attempts to create this beer to the right colour using just black and/or roast barley without caramel didn't replicate the freshness and balanced flavours I recall, but it would appear this thread is getting closer.

scotsloon
Piss Artist

Post by scotsloon » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 am

In some of the older home brewing books by Dave Shales and Dave Line Gravy Browning is mentioned as a medium to get the caramel colour.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:43 pm

scotsloon wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:16 am
In some of the older home brewing books by Dave Shales and Dave Line Gravy Browning is mentioned as a medium to get the caramel colour.
Yes, but I've not used gravy browning as I still have caramel in stock. Can you still get caramel from homebrew shops? Some time ago I understand commercial brewers were discouraged from using it due to health concerns.

It's easy enough to make. The first 2 minutes 50 seconds of the video here explains how. Not sure the cream would help a beer, but in these days, who knows?

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:38 am

That's a nice easy way to make caramel. Cheers Eric.
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)