lorimers best scotch recipe

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Wekslap
Piss Artist

lorimers best scotch recipe

Post by Wekslap » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:30 am

http://www.lorimersbestscotch.co.uk/

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2Cw ... =html_text

I dont know how authentic this is. I just stumbled across these two links. But This was my favourite beer when it existed.

Would anyone know how to make an extract or kit version of this with additions from this recipe?
Last edited by Wekslap on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always walk softly, but carry a big stick!

Goulders
Under the Table

Re: lorimers best scotch recipe

Post by Goulders » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:48 am

We used to have a Vaux pub many years ago. Was saying to my dad I hadn't seen a recipe, so thanks for that

Nosferatu
Hollow Legs
Location: Isle of Man , home of Bushy's , Okells and Hooded Ram breweries .

Post by Nosferatu » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:49 pm

If anyone does find an extract recipe for this I'd be interested too . The Cameron's scotch was probably my favourite but used to drink gallons of the Lorimer's every weekend up at Trillians .
Might even have a crack at coming up with something myself .
And they wonder why we drink ...

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi Nos.

At last, a fellow scotch lover!

I liked all the Scotches. My favourite was Lorimers but they all had thier own subtle differences, some sweeter some more burnt malty flavoured or dryer or more body. I also liked the camerons version and I loved Cameron's strongarm and brown ale in bottles. You also had Fed, bass, mcewans, whitbread versions. Liked them all.

A much underrated beer nowadays and sadly dying part of the brewing arts it now seems.

When I was growing up it was the drink of first choice by many if not most here in the North east.

If I had the skills I would make it myself.

Cheers

John
Last edited by Wekslap on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Re: Lorimer's best scotch recipe

Post by Wekslap » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:26 pm

Also thanks Gould.

Hopefully one of the many brewing wizards here might be able to help us Scotch lovers work out a recipe and we can achieve our dream, fingers crossed!

Cheers

John

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:47 am

What did these taste like? I assume they were like heavy? The only scottish "best" I can think of at the moment is belhavens crap keg effort. Shouldn't be too hard to piece together an extract+grains recipe from the info

I wish there were more decent versions of these types of beer around, I only started drinking in the mid 1990s and started on Maclays (the best iirc), Mcewans and the Caley ones, when I wasn't drinking tennents or tartan spesh :o

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:02 am

Hi Hang.

They were dark, malty with slight burnt or roast malt kind of flavour. Not very hoppy. Like a Scottish /northern Dark mild or brown ale on draught. But Low abv about 3.6. A quaffing thirst quenching session ale you could drink a few of.

I dont know to be honest how authentic the linked recipes are. I'm not an expert but these beers have been around hundreds of years I think, so Did they have these fancy hops in those days? I thought the choice then was pretty limited ie goldings fuggles bullion etc, I may be wrong.

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:30 am

Sorry. I may have been getting my hops and grains mixed up! But Still. I dont know. Did they have those fancy name grains? I'm probably totally wrong as its not my field of expertise.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:53 am

cheers, I was mainly wondering about the amount of hops, whether it was more like a mild or more like a bitter.

They would be post war beers, like bitters and what we think of as 70 shilling/80 shilling ales etc.. So not too old. I wouldn't worry about the names of the base malt, it won't really matter

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:48 am

I think they were a style on their own. At first glance looking a bit like a dark mild or a brown ale but Some elements of a bitter in taste. In beers available today maybe if you can Imagine a mcewans export but a lower strength version.

Nosferatu
Hollow Legs
Location: Isle of Man , home of Bushy's , Okells and Hooded Ram breweries .

Post by Nosferatu » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Aye you've hit the nail on the head there Wekslap , that's the way I always described "Scotch" to the uninitiated , "Like a weaker version of McEwan's Export" . I thought the McEwan's scotch had a more prominent coffeeish/metallic note , the Cameron's was a nice smooth toffee/sweeter number and the Lorimer's somewhere between the two and slightly lighter in colour .
Am I right in remembering that there was a slight difference in strength between the draught version and the canned stuff like 0.1% I'm sure one of them used to be 3.7% that may however be my fuzzy memory .
I always thought the Younger's Tartan special was a close enough substitute if in a non Scotch area but that seems to have disappeared too and like the Scotch and Export comparison the Younger's #3 was a stronger version .
Bushy's brewery over here does a nice Ruby mild which while quite different in colour has a similar flavour and at 3.5% is pretty similar in strength .
And they wonder why we drink ...

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 am

Finally got my Lorimer's scotch clone on. Fingers crossed!

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:34 am

Wekslap wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:07 am
Finally got my Lorimer's scotch clone on. Fingers crossed!
Just come across this today, how I missed it earlier is a puzzle as Lorimer's Scotch is a sorely missed beer.

I've completely failed to replicate it based on the recipes by Ron Pattinson in the second link of your original post, as getting the original colour with black and or roast barley tended to dominate flavour compared to the original suggesting some of the colour came from dark sugars or caramel.

Your first link was full of promise, but I was unable to navigate any further and wonder if you had and what might have been found? I'd be interested in any advice or information you might wish to offer.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Wekslap
Piss Artist

Post by Wekslap » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Its Early days yet as just put it on, ergo fingers crossed remark. But using online research, and books by Protz and Howarth, and a lot of help from Seymour, I've finally given it a try. I've a couple of suggested recipes but trying Seymour's first.

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Seymour eh? It's some time since his and my paths crossed.

Looking at some of my recipes, well what I thought might be from what little was found, to get the colour right needed 2% of darkest malt. However that gave stronger flavours than remembered, similar to my experience with Wm Youngers beers to wonder if they used similar colouring.

I've drank only the version from the Caledonian brewery where it evolved with Lorimer and Clark, so can't comment on that produced at Vaux in the eighties and nineties.

Good luck with the brew, I'll be interested to hear of your findings.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.