1kg of sugar

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Jimbro
Steady Drinker

1kg of sugar

Post by Jimbro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:30 am

Hi all, I have just barrelled my second batch of Coopers bitter and due to things on my mind that day I advised my partner to add a whole kilogram of brewing sugar/enhancer to the barrel . Have I really messed this up big time or is there a way to save this batch? It's only been in the barrel for three days so far . Considering I added a kilo of sugar to the fermenting bucket at the beginning, it's a lot of sugar! Thanks in advance.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: 1kg of sugar

Post by Jim » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:39 am

Well, this is not good. Apart from the fact that this will take a good while to ferment out the extra kg of sugar, much more CO2 gas will be produced than your barrel will take so even if it has a pressure relief valve it would be a good idea to crack open the lid a bit for a few days to let it vent.

Also adding even more sugar to a one can kit will get you a strong, thin, cidery beer.

When I first started brewing in the 70s, some people used to deliberately add double the sugar to make a 'better' beer. The results got you drunk, but that was about the best you could say!
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:01 am

I concur with Jim - no way back on this one, just crack open the barrel cap to let the additional CO2 escape, and then see what the results turn out like - it'll be strong whatever!
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks for your replies.

I have just released the top cap and co2. I then tasted it and to be honest apart from being quite sweet it does taste fantastic
I will keep releasing the pressure and trying to gain in a week or 2 to see how it goes.
I have a Coopers stout ready to start off, I was going to wait until November or December but I think I might start it now. Just to clarify, it is 1 kg of priming sugar in that fermenting bucket and then up to 80 g into the barrel when it's ready?
We were all new to this at one point but it's still embarrassing LOL

Chug

Post by Chug » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:37 am

Wow 1kg of sugar for priming that'll be interesting!

There are several online beer priming calculators that you can use to work out priming amounts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beer+ ... bBaK6xh_gB

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Jimbro,
This will be fun! :D
Please keep us posted.
Start the Coopers Stout now. Read the post `Ditch`s Stout`, all the info you need will be on there.
80gr for Coopers Stout is too much, 50gr will suffice.
It`s at the top of this page in `How to, FAQs and Stickies.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31569
Read through it all, and I mean ALL, we`ve had some fun on this post! :D =D> =D>

WA

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:05 am

I will keep you posted on both of the brews. Thanks for your input guys :-)

Orwell

Post by Orwell » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:30 pm

I am sure we will all hear the bang if you forget to release the pressure, no matter where we all live

BenB

Post by BenB » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Has the pressure barrel got a release valve- if so don't fret. The main thing I'd worry about is a build up of yeast etc from such a substantial secondary fermentation..

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:59 am

Yes it has a release valve but each night I let some Co2 out manually from the top and I'm quite glad I do LOL. I must say that I tried some last night and it was absolutely fantastic . No headache today yet whatsoever. But in time I think it will get much much stronger .
I will soon start the Coopers stout and follow the recipe LOL. I am guessing half a mug of sugar will be about 50 g but I will measure it to be sure this time haha.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Well, the beer was fantastic until a week or so ago when I started to feel it's effects. I am down to the last 5 ish pints and it's now 8.4% !!!
I have followed the stout recipe nearly to the letter and added just 60g of sugar to the barrel. I must admit that it is a fun way to experiment with flavours and am on the lookout for my next one to buy from Wilkos tomorrow.

Jimbro
Steady Drinker

Post by Jimbro » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Who do you believe that the stout went 'off' halfway down the barrel. I wasn't happy. A friend of mine said it could have been a fruit or vinegar fly that might have messed it up. It did make me wonder when I saw a lot of the little flies near the gutter.

Anyway, I now have a bitter fermenting in the barrel and it sure is taking its time to clear, patience is not something I have when it comes to brewing LOL.

I have a single can porter ready to start off, any suggestions for flavourings etc are more than welcome.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 pm

start drinking while still sweet imho dont wait for it to finish, you may even develop a taste for sweet beer ;)
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(