chocholate chipotle stout?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
stoofer74

chocholate chipotle stout?

Post by stoofer74 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:00 pm

i really love a beer called the Mayan by Ilkley brewery .The question is can i replicate it using a Coopers stout kit with some cocoa nibs and some chipotle chilis thrown in at say the dry hopping stage.I want a nice warming chili afterglow but not a Jonny Cash!! thoughts?

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: chocholate chipotle stout?

Post by 6470zzy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:04 pm

I believe that you will want to short brew this one a touch in order to achieve the higher alcohol percentage (6.5)
I would recommend adding some cocoa powder to the kit in order to get a more chocolate flavour, the nibs are quite subtle.

Cheers
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

stoofer74

Post by stoofer74 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:22 am

hi 6470zzy thanks for the reply any idea about how much cocoa powder i want the chilli to be the main star in this one with a sutble chocolate background i am still not too sure about the amount of chilli is 50g going to be too much?i was thinking of picking whole dried chipotles in at the dry hopping stage along with some brambling cross.I like a bit of a chilli kick but am not sure if 50g is going to be too much it might be a case of trial and error i suppose

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:27 am

stoofer74 wrote:hi 6470zzy thanks for the reply any idea about how much cocoa powder i want the chilli to be the main star in this one with a sutble chocolate background i am still not too sure about the amount of chilli is 50g going to be too much?i was thinking of picking whole dried chipotles in at the dry hopping stage along with some brambling cross.I like a bit of a chilli kick but am not sure if 50g is going to be too much it might be a case of trial and error i suppose
stoof,
I think your best bet would be to split the brew 50/50. If you mess up with the chilli, you`ve still got the Chocolate beer.
50gr of chilli sounds a lot to me. I split a Coopers Stout 3 ways and used 100gr Dark Chocolate in the main FV, 50gr Coconut in FV2,
4 small (HOT) chillis crushed in FV3. Chillis were about 15mm long, don`t know what weight they were. The beer was VERY HOT.
It was drinkable, but you would not want another the same day! #-o

WA

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:06 pm

WalesAles wrote:
stoofer74 wrote:hi 6470zzy thanks for the reply any idea about how much cocoa powder i want the chilli to be the main star in this one with a sutble chocolate background i am still not too sure about the amount of chilli is 50g going to be too much?i was thinking of picking whole dried chipotles in at the dry hopping stage along with some brambling cross.I like a bit of a chilli kick but am not sure if 50g is going to be too much it might be a case of trial and error i suppose
stoof,
I think your best bet would be to split the brew 50/50. If you mess up with the chilli, you`ve still got the Chocolate beer.
50gr of chilli sounds a lot to me. I split a Coopers Stout 3 ways and used 100gr Dark Chocolate in the main FV, 50gr Coconut in FV2,
4 small (HOT) chillis crushed in FV3. Chillis were about 15mm long, don`t know what weight they were. The beer was VERY HOT.

WA

Wales, I like your suggestion about splitting the brew. In the end you could blend them \:D/
"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

stoofer74

Post by stoofer74 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:47 pm

thanks for the replies guys.This is still in the planning stage i am still undecided on exact amounts .The chipotle is a dried Jalepeno i have found out and they aren't a particularly hot chilli so i am still tinkering with exact amounts i am not too sure about the chocolate aspect .i like the thought of 2 or 3 batches and blending the two but i only have 25l fermentors so i don't think they would be suitable for about 7-10l

DeadFall
Under the Table

Post by DeadFall » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Get hold of a bottle of Tempest's Mexicake. Not only is it an amazing beer, there is a recipe on the side. It's not quite complete as it just lists malted barley without any idea of the type.
Let's all go home, pull on our gimp suits and enjoy life

Brewing chat on slack - http://thelocal.stamplayapp.com

Leeds_Lad_Michael

Post by Leeds_Lad_Michael » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:00 pm

WalesAles wrote:
stoof,

WA

Could you give us a heads up on how you imparted coconut into the fermentation, I'm seriously intrigued =P~ =P~ =P~

Was it the Pataks Creamed Coconut Sachets type things, did you throw in whole or boil off in as much water as your biggest pan (to annoy the missus of course)...

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi stoofer74, I dry-chillied an AG Foreign Export Stout I brewed with Dried Chipotle Chillies from Tesco. I was trying to get something on the lines of Durham Brewery Hellfire, it worked, as in, it was hot, lip numbing hot, and that was dosed at a meagre 0.6g/L (dry weight of chilli) left in for over a week. The chilli really enhances the chocolate notes in a stout, and it was challenging, yet still very drinkable, where the heat comes through with the initial carbonation and then gets tempered by the rich chocolate finish of the stout, in every mouthful. I would definitely take 647Ozzys advice and brew this short as the extra body will help balance the chilli, but also, from speaking to the head brewer of Redwillow who make Smokeless (https://www.redwillowbrewery.com/our-be ... -porter-57), he noted that chillies have a slight thinning effect on the final beer.

I'd estimate that one of the dry chillies I used weighed about 2g, so maybe try 1 or 2 in a 20L to replicate Mayan (add one, give it a week and work from there).

stoofer74

Post by stoofer74 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:49 pm

thanks for that Sadfield i will give it a go.I am still working on the chocolate aspect someone said that cocao nibs give a very subtle flavour.Just out of interest how did you sterilise the chilli?

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:39 pm

I chopped into a couple of chunks and poured on a little boiling water and then gave them a short blast in the microwave, this also helped to re-hydrate them.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:24 am

Leeds_Lad_Michael wrote:

Could you give us a heads up on how you imparted coconut into the fermentation, I'm seriously intrigued =P~ =P~ =P~

Was it the Pataks Creamed Coconut Sachets type things, did you throw in whole or boil off in as much water as your biggest pan (to annoy the missus of course)...
LLM,
I put in 50gr of dessicated coconut when I transferred to FV2. It was nowhere near enough. Hardly any Coconut taste or aroma! #-o

WA