Messed up a brew, faint taste of sanitiser

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Leeds_Lad_Michael

Messed up a brew, faint taste of sanitiser

Post by Leeds_Lad_Michael » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:36 am

Hi all,

I'm after your opinions on what to do with my last brew.

I did a Coopers European Pils kit and there is a faint taste of sanitiser in the bottles. I tried 3 and they all had that taste to the. They've been bottled since late November, have great head retention and a good amount of fizz, they just have this very slight sanitiser taste to them. First time in 9 years I've messed up. It was a freezing day when I was bottling outside and I'm now paying the price.

My question is, will the taste of it it ever fade if I just leave them or should i just put it down to experience, and throw them each time I open a bad one and get a new kit on asap. Such a shame as I've got very little lager left.

Exiled Bradfordian

Re: Messed up a brew, faint taste of sanitiser

Post by Exiled Bradfordian » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:40 pm

What type of sanitiser do you use? I use Milton tablets which need washing out before filling but this has been my concern with switching to a no rinse such as StarSan. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:01 am

Sorry but the taste is very very unlikely to change over time. Sounds like insufficient rinsing or over supply of cleanser. Either way, once it's in there...
Tea is for mugs...

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:43 am

if it was sanitiser and in sufficient amount to taste i would have expected it to kill all the yeast in the bottles and stopped any conditioning taking place?

? If its an anticeptic tcp type flavour then it could be down to chloromides and chlorine in the water supply simply treated with 1/2-1 crushed campden tab in the water before you use it
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Leeds_Lad_Michael

Post by Leeds_Lad_Michael » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

It was a standard Wilkos little sanitiser tub I had about the place. Thinking about it guilty of over sanitising the solution and definately didn't rinse properly.

They have had a great secondary fermentation, I did a quick 4L cherry vimto wine that I bottled and primed the same day (bottle was 50p from the local frozen food shop) and that also has great fizz but the same slight taste.

The bottles had been empty for a while and I should have been more careful and more thorough in my bottle preparation. As it stands I have massive toothache at the minute and only spirits was a comfortable drink at the weekend so I'm going to chalk it up to experience, throw the lot and put a new batch on. They're the grolsch swingtops and I tend to use them first and drink them like pop in the summer so the sooner they're refilled the better.

I'll survive on a 10litre barrel of a table top distill that keeps getting less and less. That won't ever get to be a full whisky, tastes too nice as a vodsky/whiska. Cheers.