Coopers Stout Stuck

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Stringybob

Coopers Stout Stuck

Post by Stringybob » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi, I brewed a Coopers Stout with 1kg of DME and it has been stuck on 1.020 for 3 days. It has been in the FV at a fairly steady 20 degrees for 8 days and at the weekend I gave it a good stir and stuck another pack of yeast in but it hasn't shifted. Should I just bottle it or will I end up with some bottle bombs?

Stringybob

Re: Coopers Stout Stuck

Post by Stringybob » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Still at 1.020 so getting bottled this weekend :roll:

LarryF

Post by LarryF » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Sorry if this a bit late but if you've not bottled yet then hold fire and try and get the FG down. There are various ways to get the SG down:
Bring the temp up to 22c if you've got adjustable temp control.
A gentle stir.
1tsp of yeast nutrient gently stirred in.
10g of sugar dissolved in boiling water and allowed to cool and gently stirred in the FV.

Any of these can kick the fermentation off again.If you have bottled, it's not the end of the world,store the bottles somewhere waterproof to be on the safe side. If you've used screw top bottles then you can check a bottle after two weeks and if it gushes then release the pressure on all the other bottles and re-seal them. Check another one a week later and see how it is, the most I've done is to release the pressure three times on a stout and they were all fine after that.

Stringybob

Post by Stringybob » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Cheers Larry,

I bottled them on Saturday using PET screwtop bottles, so I will keep and eye on them as you described.