How much better are the Muntons two can kits

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
snowbeast
Piss Artist

How much better are the Muntons two can kits

Post by snowbeast » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Having only really had access to Coopers kits I now see an online shop does these double can Muntons at double the price. With every brew I do a CPP (Cost Per Pint) out of habit. If it tastes good and is affordable, I do it again.
How much better is the quality of a two can kit?
FV1:
Nothing
FV2:
Nothing

Conditioning:
Guava Wine Batch 1

Drinking:
Gin

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: How much better are the Muntons two can kits

Post by WalesAles » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Hello Snow,
I don`t know the answer to that question! If I knew I would tell You. #-o
Name the song and group that line comes from! :D

I only popped on here to say Hello. (Is it me your looking for?)
Built that Brewery yet?

WA

snowbeast
Piss Artist

Post by snowbeast » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Hahaha, Howzit Wales.
I got a 30l pot that I did a couple BIAB with.
Moved house onto a small holding in the middle of nowhere so haven't had the time for mashing and boiling so done a Ditches Stout and some Guava wine with home grown Guava's.
Now that we have a tractor (not on to brew with) chores are not taking so long so keen to get into the full swing of things.
Looking at a 76l pot with all the bells and whistles after the tax man gives me some money back.

Good to hear from you.
FV1:
Nothing
FV2:
Nothing

Conditioning:
Guava Wine Batch 1

Drinking:
Gin

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:57 pm

WalesAles wrote:Hello Snow,
I don`t know the answer to that question! If I knew I would tell You. #-o
Name the song and group that line comes from! :D

I only popped on here to say Hello. (Is it me your looking for?)
Built that Brewery yet?

WA
The Look of Love ABC

&

Lionel Richtea reference.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:27 pm

orlando wrote:
The Look of Love ABC

&

orlando,
Correctomundo! :D
Name the film that comes from! :D

WA

No Googling.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:58 am

WalesAles wrote:
orlando wrote:
The Look of Love ABC

&

orlando,
Correctomundo! :D
Name the film that comes from! :D

WA

No Googling.
You have me there, don't know which song was in any film are you asking about ABC or Richtea? I will have a guess, Absolute Beginners.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am

Hi snowbeast

The two can kits look expensive compared to one can kits, but they don't need any extra sugars (other than for priming) adding to them ... if you've made Ditch's Stout then you probably already appreciate the benefit that adding Malt Extract instead of Simple Sugars/Brewing Sugar/Beerkit Enhancer can make, and when you compare the costs of a one can kit, plus a kilo of DME (or 1.5kg of LME), to the price of a two can kit then the differences aren't so big ... or, depending on where you're getting your supplies from, might end up cheaper :?

Oh, and ...
  • "and whistles after the tax man" - isn't that The Beatles/John Lennon?
  • "Now that we have a tractor" - Bob Dylan ... or Woodie Guthrie maybe?
  • "some Guava wine with home grown Guava's." - Leonard Cohen wrote so many songs that that line must be in at least one of them?
... easy-peasey :wink:

Cheers, PhilB

Gosbeck

Post by Gosbeck » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:55 pm

I've been home brewing for over 10 years and make up at least one kit per month and often 2 or three - probably around 20-25 kits per year in all. I only drink a few pints from each brew, as most of the rest go to family and friends when they visit or provide refreshment for local community events. Therefore, I get wide feedback on most of the brews that I make and this has shaped what kits I now brew.

When I first started I only used 2 can kits for their ease of use. I then moved onto one can kits and used them with DME or LME and after a while began pimping/adapting kits and using a range of different types of fermentables. However, 3 or 4 years ago I returned to using 2 can kits exclusively following feedback that these were the beers that are preferred. I make them with no additions and, as previously stated, once the cost of DME or LME is taken into account the difference in cost is minimal.

I believe that all home brewers need to try different types of kits and ways to brew them before settling into a method/style that suits them. For me the two can kits are the easiest to brew, most consistent in quality and produce a finished brew that is preferred by those who drink what I make.

I mainly use Muntons kits, as the Muntons factory is located in the next town to where I live and they are easy to come by in my locality, but I have used other 2 can kits which have been equally well received.

The only one-can kits that I now make are the Brewferm Belgian kits, all brewed with inverted sugars, and the well received Coopers Canadian Blonde kit, which I brew for the lager drinkers even though it is an ale.

BTW, I haven't posted for a while now and the signature is an old one that I haven't changed for years - In fact this is the first time I've looked at the forum for at least a couple of years.

Good luck with whatever you kits you choose to brew.

Regards
Gosback