Hops sitting on krausen.

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
JohnRB
Tippler

Hops sitting on krausen.

Post by JohnRB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:36 am

I'm doing a Ritchies Festival kit which is dry hopped during fermentation.

The instructions are clear. 'Do not stir in the hops!'. So after 36 hours the pellets have broken up nicely but are sitting on top of the krausen.

Should I ignore the instructions and give it a stir or accept that Ritchies knows best? Advice appreciated.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Hops sitting on krausen.

Post by Fil » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:09 am

I would expect the Kraussen to die down eventually, and then the hops will be brought down into contact with the wort. And when fully saturated pellet hops do tend to sink nicely..

perhaps its a feature of the kit letting the kraussen dose the beer with the hops when ready ;)

If however when the kraussen has died down you find the hops sitting like an island floating on the surface you can try breaking the surface tension with a few sharp raps from the back of a wooden spoon at the liquid level on the FV exterior.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

BenB

Post by BenB » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:39 am

Good thinking Fil- you don't want to add the hops too early otherwise the yeast when it drops will drag down lots of hop flavour. By definition when the krausen collapses the majority of fermentation will have happened. Makes a lot of sense and if that's why they say that then it's really simple solution.

Brewdoug
Sober

Post by Brewdoug » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:03 am

At what time did you add the dry hops?
They should only be added for the last 4 days or so by which time the most active fermentation and the krausen has died down. If you add them too soon a lot of their aroma is driven away by the activity and CO2 of the fermentation.
In my experience when you add dry hops in pellet form they form their own sort of krausen or green scum which eventually does sink to the trub at the bottom of the fermenter.
As others have said the krausen will sink eventually bringing your dry hops in better contact with your beer. Not a good idea to interfere too much as you are increasing the risk of infection.

JohnRB
Tippler

Post by JohnRB » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks all for the thoughtful input.

I can control temperature fairly well and this brew has been fermented at 21Deg.C.

Ritchies instruction state that hops should be added after 5days but at that point I still had krausen coming through the airlock! I waited until fermentation had slowed and added the hop pellets on day 9. The krausen less dense but still 2cm thick.

Again Ritchies advised leavin g the hops in the FV for 5 days. Balancing the different views I'll wait until the krausen has subsided and then hold in a clean FV for the yeast to finish cleaning up. Do you think this makes sense?

Thanks.