Wilko stout yeast

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Lunar

Wilko stout yeast

Post by Lunar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:04 pm

Does anyone know what strain the wilko stout yeast is? Just brewed a slightly tweaked Wilko stout. Started with OG 1.047 but finished with an FG of 1.003. Even using some Belgium strains I have never managed to attain an FG so low. I normally average around 1.013. This took a fairly standard stout that I had expected to be around 4.6% to a rather tasty 5.8%.
I will be harvesting this yeast for future use!

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Wilko stout yeast

Post by WalesAles » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Lunar wrote:Does anyone know what strain the wilko stout yeast is? Just brewed a slightly tweaked Wilko stout. Started with OG 1.047 but finished with an FG of 1.003. Even using some Belgium strains I have never managed to attain an FG so low. I normally average around 1.013. This took a fairly standard stout that I had expected to be around 4.6% to a rather tasty 5.8%.
I will be harvesting this yeast for future use!
Lunar,
I don`t what the yeast is. Mine always finish at 1010.
What tweaks did you do?

WA

Lunar

Re: Wilko stout yeast

Post by Lunar » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:46 pm

It was an experiment to see how far I could stretch a kit, aiming for a hopped stout for a session beer. I was aiming for about 4.5% thereabouts. I brewed long to 27 litres with addition of molasses & beer enhancer. I used brewers friend calculator, which I tend to find is spot, OG came out Bang on if it finished around 1.012 = 4.5% Abv. Then dry hopped.

It's tasting fantastic and the molasses has blended well into the background already, just adding a bit more depth without tasting tinny. Couldn't have asked for a better brew just surprised it got so low and appears to still be going, certainly no sign of the krausen disappearing anytime soon.

The yeast is a keeper, planning to start a high abv. Belgium blonde on the yeast cake at the weekend, see how much a kit yeast can handle.