Carbonating 24hour cider kit

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
fatman300lb

Carbonating 24hour cider kit

Post by fatman300lb » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi all. Not logged in for a very long time unfortunately, I have a quick question, in Wilkos they sell a cider kit in a bag in a box that you just add water to and it's ready in 48 hours, it's a fruit cider, on the box it says the longer it's left the dryer it gets, I was wondering if there is a way to carbonate this as I know carbonation can take a while, could I add some carbonation drops when adding the water, or add afterwards, or transfer to a barrel once it's done and add drops to it then, my main concern is the cider getting too dry whilst the carbonation process takes place, thanks.

oldbloke
Under the Table

Re: Carbonating 24hour cider kit

Post by oldbloke » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:32 am

Carbonation has to happen in the final container. So you can't add drops with the initial water. Unless you're planning on never racking/kegging/bottling. Sugar is cheaper than drops, btw.

I suspect a fruit cider kit will have at least a little bit of non-fermentable sweetener in it, but you might add some yourself at the start. I used to use sucralose but have switched to xylitol.

Ready in 48 hours? scary. Hopefully the fruit will mask the effect of using a turbo yeast

fatman300lb

Post by fatman300lb » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi, thanks, I was going to bottle it, don't think can add drops or sugar at start as it's in a sealed bad in a box like them bags of wine and has a tap on it, here is a link, this is only 10 pints but Willis do a 20 pint one

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6515331? ... gLVQvD_BwE

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:00 pm

I've seen them, wouldn't touch them myself. Happy with my turbocider recipes. OK they take 10-15 days to ferment, not 48hours, and I like to leave them in bottle to carb up for a month, but the results are very good