Fermenting temperature

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
AnthonyUK

Re: Fermenting temperature

Post by AnthonyUK » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:54 am

MarkF_2703 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:34 pm
...hoping that will confirm fermentation has completed plus give it the Diactyl rest everyone talks about, I have fallen foul of that in a few beers so far, butterscotch taste.
Hi Mark.
Temp control is great and clean profiles, D rests etc have their place e.g. in Lagers but embrace the wonders of what yeast can do especially in a bitter. Without any yeast character you may as well drink John Smiths from a can.

This is all personal preference of course but I like a bit Diacetyl in a bitter and it isn't a dirty word over here like it is to the yanks.

MarkF_2703
Steady Drinker

Post by MarkF_2703 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:18 pm

rootsbrew wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:30 am
Sorry, short-hand for Residual Sugar. Supposedly, humans can notice anything from about 5g glucose/litre plain water, which is upto about 0.3% - i.e. enough to consider doing something, which includes waiting (waitjng takes a lot of effort I find!).

Thinking aloud here - if you intend to fine your beer, re-measure the specific gravity once it's cleared. It might well drop a point or two, plus while the yeast is bunching up, it's still working towards dry. Once clear, mix in a tiny wort of malt extract and fresh yeast (e.g. a bottling strain) about 6-8hrs before bottling - the new activity might nudge the beer a bit more. Worst case scenario is it becomes a smidge over-primed, which'll settle on pouring.
Still at 1.015 today, had a taste not sweet, I think having a head and carbonated got me worried, but its nowhere near as fizzy as when it was full on fermenting, fining and dropping the temp this afternoon, its not being bottled, in a 30l keg and force carbed so no worries about priming. My Cwtch I did is bloody lovely, this beer is looking a lot better than the hit and miss approach in January when I did it.
AnthonyUK wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:54 am
MarkF_2703 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:34 pm
...hoping that will confirm fermentation has completed plus give it the Diactyl rest everyone talks about, I have fallen foul of that in a few beers so far, butterscotch taste.
Hi Mark.
Temp control is great and clean profiles, D rests etc have their place e.g. in Lagers but embrace the wonders of what yeast can do especially in a bitter. Without any yeast character you may as well drink John Smiths from a can.

This is all personal preference of course but I like a bit Diacetyl in a bitter and it isn't a dirty word over here like it is to the yanks.
I hear you, but I had a really bad butterscotch issue in an American IPA kit I did, it got stronger as the keg aged. :oops: and I didn't like it, my wife doesn't drink beer but she could taste it too. Its a nice taste in weiss biers though.

Another Lager going in after this one, so stand by for more questions in another thread. :lol:

Stratto

Post by Stratto » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:41 pm

just checked my wort with my digital thermometer. It is reading 19.6 Celsius and the display on the controller is 20.6 Celsius so with the + or - tolerance it seems quite accurate.