Best Brewing Temperature for kit brewing

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Stratto

Best Brewing Temperature for kit brewing

Post by Stratto » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi Guys

Just like to ask, I mainly brew beer. IPA, Bitter and the like. What do people reckon is the best temperature to brew at. I use a converted fridge as a brew fridge which works pretty good at keeping the temp withing 1 or 2 degrees. The brew takes ok to me but always trying to improve. Any ideas would be well received. :D

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Re: Best Brewing Temperature for kit brewing

Post by Fil » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:23 am

with a brew fridge you are in the best position to find out ;)

imho a general rule of thumb is to ferment at the lower end of any range specified for a strain/kit, but thats just to get the cleanest taste profile out as when (again generally speaking) when fermentation is conducted in warmer temps the more active yeast can also produce more 'by products' such as esters and fussels, these can contribute more complex flavours.

So i would suggest if the temp range specified for your kit yeast is close to the usual 18-24c, try a brew at 18C and a second at 20 or 22c and compare the results? your taste buds should answer your question for you as its going to be a matter of personal taste and preference..

If you can determine the yeast strain employed with the kit or substitute a known strain you can probably find some very good guidelines bassed on the sorts of flavours you think you would enjoy in your beer.

have fun finding out
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:54 am

One thing to add to Fil's comment is consider the amount of yeast supplied with the kit. Some provide as little as 5-6g.
Generally, the smaller amount you have, err towards the lower end of the range for a cleaner profile.

Wilko's Ale yeast is Nottingham which is a very reliable and clean strain and for the £1.75 it costs is worth it over an unknown kit yeast.

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessori ... vt/0318922

RealAleQuaffer
Sober

Post by RealAleQuaffer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm

I will second the idea of getting some new yeast to go with the kit.

I personally like the safale S-04, which is a little more expensive than the wilko yeast but has produced good results by my tastes, and ferment at 20c. I use an immersion heater to maintain the temperature and wrap a blanket around the fermenter to protect it from light and to minimise the temperature differences.

I have used this set up with kits, extract with steeped grain and full mash beers and find it satisfactory. I do enjoy using the liquid yeasts from wyeast as well but save them for the more special beers such as Belgium beers etc.

Stratto

Post by Stratto » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks guys for all your comments. Yes a brew fridge does work well so trial and error is the order of the day and that is what homebrewing is all about. I just need to brew the same kit in exactly the same way. Lowering the temperature as we go. Normally it is set at 19.5 I will lower to 18.5 and test.I just like the selection of different ales. Variety is the spice of light. If anyone is interested I can do a post on my brew fridge. If anyone is interested. With pictures if it helps. :D

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:44 am

Stratto wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:09 pm
Variety is the spice of light.
Stratto,
Variety is indeed the `Spice of Light`! :D ( I think)?
RealAleQuaffer wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm
wrap a blanket around the fermenter to protect it from light
RAQ,
Welcome to JBK! =D>
Why do you protect the FV from Light?

WA

Have Fun Brewing, Hic!