Back to brewing - bit of help required

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Back to brewing - bit of help required

Post by Marshbrewer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:24 pm

Having not brewed for over 3 years, I decided to give my notes a glance over before starting again to learn from my previous experience. Unfortunately, my notes aren't very comprehensive, and just look like lists of ingredients, with little detail. So, I want to put together something Old Peculiar / Hobgoblin-ish, and looking at previous attempts, I've planning on the below. Can someone cast their eye over it and point out any major mistakes?

All the kit will be cleaned thoroughly then sterilised with a videne solution; that (boring) part of the process is still fresh in my mind. :D

Coopers Australian Dark Ale 1 can
Beer Kit Enhancer 1Kg pack
H&B Malt Extract 2 * 454g
Black Treacle 35g

15 min hop bag
Fuggles 50g
Cascade 20g

5 min hop bag
Styrian Goldings (Bobek) 50g
Fuggles 50g

Gain bag
Crystal Malt 150g
Chocolate Malt 50g

1. Steep malts in LME dissolved in 5L water from room temp to 70 deg C. Remove malt bags.
2. Bring to boil, add 50g Fuggles + 20g Cascade. Boil for 10 Mins.
3. Add remaining Fuggles and Styrian Goldings, continue boil for another 5 mins.
4. Disolve the treacle into this at flame out.
5. Make up kit as normal with liqour as the hot water and BKE as sugars. Make up to 20l with water previously de-chlorinated using a campden tablet.
6. Pitch coopers kit yeast, Ferment at 20 deg C.

Things I'm already unsure of - do I need to use de-chlorinated water for the boil, or does it get boiled off, and is 20 deg C to high for this beer style? What do peeps think?

twentyfootwilf

Re: Back to brewing - bit of help required

Post by twentyfootwilf » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Not sure about your recipe but have a look at this link http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/37/ for 'Hop Gobbler' presumably a corruption of Hob Goblin. I made this a couple of years ago pretty much as per the recipe and was very pleased at the outcome.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Re: Back to brewing - bit of help required

Post by Marshbrewer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks Wilf, I think I'll give that a go first to get me back into the swing of things.