The 'new range' of Coopers Thomas Coopers Selection series.

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
twentyfootwilf

The 'new range' of Coopers Thomas Coopers Selection series.

Post by twentyfootwilf » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm

Has anyone done one of the Coopers Brew A IPA kits and the Bootmaker Pale Ale kits. I bought one of each recently for a tenner each in Boyes sale. They recommend one and a half kilos of light dme for a 23 litre brew which is a bit heavier bodied than I am used to doing. Can anyone give any idea of what these kits are like.

rootsbrew

Re: The 'new range' of Coopers Thomas Coopers Selection series.

Post by rootsbrew » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Although I haven't done this kit, 3.0 - 3.5kg of malt extract is typical for 23 litres of "normal" strength beer (e.g. the instructions on this page: https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.p ... ductId=586 - ABV ~ 4.7%). Much like a 2 can kit. If you're used to using 1 can + sugar or 1 can + BKE, then this should be an improvement Have fun with it and report back on how it tastes.

twentyfootwilf

Post by twentyfootwilf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:21 pm

I don't mind adding 1.5 kg of liquid malt extract but the recommendation on these kits is for 1.5kg of dry malt extract where normal strength beer is usually kit and kilo which is why I thought 1.5kg would be a bit heavy bodied. I think I will do just 1kg of dme and brew to 21 litres a sort of compromise.

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:22 pm

I did the Coopers Brew A IPA kit last October using the 18 litres/1kg of malt option. Tasted very powerful but lacked balance for about six months or so. Drank the last one in August by which time it was superb.

twentyfootwilf

Post by twentyfootwilf » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:45 pm

In what way did it lack balance? Was the malt overpowering or the hops?

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:45 pm

The brew was too bitter for me initially and the beer tasted a little green. I expected it would be more like Worthington White Shield. After a few months a more mellow flavour came to the fore.