Norfolk Nog

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
CliffEdge

Norfolk Nog

Post by CliffEdge » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Hello again!

Having completed my Hoppy Copper process, (apart from drinking it), I am looking at putting a brew of Woodforde's Nog on.

I did one a few years ago, but in a pressure barrel, and was very pleased with it. This time I think I will do one can at a time, to 10 litres, no added sugar, substitute the supplied yeast with a 11g Wilko Gervin yeast, or Nottingham or similar, and bottle. Am I cutting it a bit fine for Christmas?

Come to think of it, I may keg the other can in one of the smaller pressure barrels, and compare the two for future reference.

Any other Nog fans out there? I like its Hobgoblin/Peculier qualities!!

sandimas
Steady Drinker

Re: Norfolk Nog

Post by sandimas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 pm

Yes I'm a Nog fan, haven't done one for a while. I think you'll be OK for Christmas.

I'd be tempted to give it a little tweak if you're after a Hobgoblin/Peculier type of brew, by using the final hop stages from the AG brewing process for either of those two:
- Hobgoblin: 15g each of Styrian Goldings and Fuggles steeped in a few litres of water below 80C for 30mins
- Old Peculier: boil 8g Goldings in a few litres of water for 10m, turn off the heat, wait 10min, then steep 10g Styrian Goldings for 30mins

Strain the liquid, and use it to make up the kit. Good call on substituting the yeast too, Muntons don't add enough of it with this kit.

cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by cwrw gwent » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 am

My brother was given a kit many years ago and I made it for him. It was very ordinary for about two months, after which it was excellent. Needless to say, we'd drunk most of it by then. I'd suggest brewing now and it should be ready for Christmas.

CliffEdge

Post by CliffEdge » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:29 am

Right on it goes this weekend !!

As it's a two can kit, I can do one each as per Sandimas suggestions.

Thanks.