How long will Woodfordes Wherry last in a barrel?

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Grumpy Git

How long will Woodfordes Wherry last in a barrel?

Post by Grumpy Git » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:14 am

Before you all chime "not long", I'd be interested to know how long a Woodfordes Wherry will last in a plastic pressure barrel when it has a CO2 canister pressurising it. Just thinking of preparing for Christmas.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: How long will Woodfordes Wherry last in a barrel?

Post by orlando » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am

The enemy is oxidation and it is virtually impossible to get a brew transferred without some getting in. However, you will have yeaast carried over and they will continue to scavenge oxygen before they start on the priming sugar. Having said all that, it's a beer that is brewed to be drunk fresh so I would wait until 4-6 weeks to go before drinking it to start it.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 pm

A few years ago I got 4 months out of Wherry in a barrel using a soda stream cylinder to pressurise. It was still tasting fine at the end
Ian

racinsnake

Post by racinsnake » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Admittedly it’s not a Wherry but I can’t see there would be a great difference but I have a Young’s Mocha Porter which due to “circumstances” has been in the PB for 2yrs. The biggest surprise (after the fact it’s still hanging around) is that the PB is holding good pressure, it tastes fine too. So enjoy :D