Abbot ale kit wanted

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
Jim2
Steady Drinker

Re: Abbot ale kit wanted

Post by Jim2 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:39 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:06 am

.. Half full will not work. I use caster sugar (cane) and invert the bottle a few times once sealed up. This mixes the sugar and tests the seal.

Yup. I have found this to be the case with all grain bottled beer. I still have a few bottles which are criminally old, but were still OK (on last tasting)
Would the gas be lost in the half filled bottles and beer go flat? You always see them bottled up in the shops with a little space at the top. Is this how it should be done or straight to the top

Why do kask barrel have Selby dates of about 3 weeks on them unopened

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:13 pm

Beer has a shelf life that depends upon a few things, including:

- Storage conditions eg temperature and if it fluctuates
- Amount of oxygen present in the beer after fermentation has finished (usually introduced by transfers/packaging)

Beer stored at room temperature, especially in warmer months, will degrade much much faster than fridge or cellar temperatures stored beer. Oxygen, particularly with certain beer styles (very hoppy ones are particularly prone) will also degrade beer. Cask beer is exposed to air when prepared for serving so should then be drunk in a matter of a few days (unless eg a cask breather is used that blankets the beer with CO2 rather than just drawing air in).
You should try and take care when packaging to avoid any unnecessary splashing etc to avoid oxygen damage. I’ve also seen a couple of homebrewers show oxidation caused by shaking bottles to mix priming sugar (darkened beer compared to the non shaken ones is an indicator) so you might want to try that for yourself (just shake a couple of bottles and do a side by side check by look and taste 2-3 weeks later).
In terms of filling, if you use a bottling stick then you fill to the top, when you pull the stick out you will find it leaves just the right space (similar to a commercial bottle).
In terms of “best before date”, some beer types will be drinkable for a long time but others (eg Hefeweizen/heavily hopped American style beers) are better drunk pretty fresh, especially if you cannot store them at cellar temperature or below. Some beers do benefit from aging, usually the darker and stronger beers. Tasting and keeping notes will help you determine what you like with them. Personally I have not found beer to be as good after a year unless it is dark/strong and even then it might not be. Once again, having some bottles to taste over time will help you decide what you like for different beers.

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:11 am

f00b4r wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:13 pm
1. Cask beer is exposed to air when prepared for serving so should then be drunk in a matter of a few days (unless eg a cask breather is used that blankets the beer with CO2 rather than just drawing air in).

2. You should try and take care when packaging to avoid any unnecessary splashing etc to avoid oxygen damage. I’ve also seen a couple of homebrewers show oxidation caused by shaking bottles to mix priming sugar (darkened beer compared to the non shaken ones is an indicator) so you might want to try that for yourself (just shake a couple of bottles and do a side by side check by look and taste 2-3 weeks later).

3. In terms of filling, if you use a bottling stick then you fill to the top, when you pull the stick out you will find it leaves just the right space
1. A lot of crappy pubs struggle to sell cask beer before it goes off. Do you think a cask breather would do the trick hear?

2. The last poster hear said that they shuck the bottles up to get the suger to mix well

3. Where can I get a bottling stick from?

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:14 pm

I spoke to my local brew show and they said the closest they have to Abbott is Belgium dobbol
https://www.brewmart.co.uk/belgian-dubbel-festival/
But with chocolate in it and 7.3avb I don't know!

MashBag
Even further under the Table

Post by MashBag » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:26 am

Give it a go.

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:03 am

She said the price is £27.25
Do you think LME work out cheeper?

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 am

Jim, I think you are overthinking this. Have you tried making the Woodfordes Wherry 2 can kit? Similar style but not as strong, but you could just use less water to make it to 36 pints if you wanted.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:40 am

clarets7 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 am
Jim, I think you are overthinking this. Have you tried making the Woodfordes Wherry 2 can kit? Similar style but not as strong, but you could just use less water to make it to 36 pints if you wanted.
I agree about keeping it simple with a 2 can kit for your first brew. However, perhaps get a kit designed to be brewed to 36 pints, maybe Woodfordes Nelson. I've never made it but it is highly regarded and looking at the description seems to be full-bodied and fruity like Abbots ale. You can get it for about £20, about 50p a pint.

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:31 pm

Just got back from brew shop and only found the kit contains 1/2kg of dextros and 110g of bloody primming suger #-o :( :x

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:47 pm

clarets7 wrote:
Might be worth a try next brew for next week. Do you have a link to the woodfordes homebrew kit please as can't seem to find it myself

Having said that might be better and cheeper buying 5litre bottles of LME

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:09 pm

Jim2 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:47 pm
clarets7 wrote:
Might be worth a try next brew for next week. Do you have a link to the woodfordes homebrew kit please as can't seem to find it myself
Woodfordes homebrew kits are stocked at pretty much all homebrew shops. For example: https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/wood ... ns-revenge

Full range: https://brew2bottle.co.uk/products/wood ... l-ale-kits

It seems to be about £22 in most places, from a quick google.

Jim2
Steady Drinker

Post by Jim2 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:25 pm

So you think the Nelson is closer to the abbot then the whrery?

Do you know if the kit is all grain unlike the Belgium festival I done which had suger in [-X

clarets7
Piss Artist

Post by clarets7 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:10 pm

I've no idea, not made the Nelson's and the Abbot Ale I remember is from over 50 years ago. I have tasted so called Abbot since then but it was nothing like I remember, but back then it was always served straight from the barrel. The Wherry was the first kit I made when I got back into brewing about 12 years ago, it's a good reliable kit to start with and a similar style. I'm sure the Nelson's will be similar. Both kits are two cans of malt extract.
"The paradise of the rich is made out of the hell of the poor" - Victor Hugo

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:11 pm

I just thought the Nelsons sounded more similar in terms of strength and body, but Wherry was the first beer I ever made and is decent imo.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:15 pm

Jim2 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:25 pm

Do you know if the kit is all grain unlike the Belgium festival I done which had suger in [-X
The kit will be made entirely with grain and the only sugar you add is a small amount of priming sugar for secondary fermentation.