Review - Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner

Discuss making up beer kits - the simplest way to brew.
cwrw gwent
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Review - Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner

Post by cwrw gwent » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:31 pm

I've been more than happy with bitter and mild kits but I've rarely had much joy from home-brewed lager. Most of the lager kits I've tried have lacked crispness, are too weak or display little flavour. I tried the Geordie Lager many years ago but it was the homebrew equivalent of Carling Black Label. Cooper's European Lager was a great improvement but I'm not sure it was worth the lengthy primary and secondary fermentation periods when I could buy the excellent and brilliant-value Steinhauser from Aldi and drink it after a mere three hours in the fridge.
So it was with trepidation that I invested in a Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner, but I must say I'm impressed. This is a two-can 3 kilogram kit which I bottled last spring after 16 days primary followed by ten days secondary fermentation. I left it for two months and it was very good with light carbonation, a fine head and excellent flavour. It was even better after six months, by which time it had become rather dry, but that may have been because I stored it in the garage throughout the hot summer rather than in an icy cave.
According to the instructions you can expect 40 pints at an abv of approximately 4.5%. I would certainly try this kit again.
Attachments
Muntons GOLD Continental Pilsner.jpg
Muntons GOLD Continental Pilsner.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 5216 times

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Review - Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner

Post by WalesAles » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:53 pm

Looking Great, Cwrw. :D =D>

WA

bitter_dave
Even further under the Table

Post by bitter_dave » Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:36 pm

Interesting. Was it fermented with an ale yeast at ale temps or with a lager yeast at lager temps?

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:26 pm

Interesting question Dave. I'm fairly sure that the packet said "Lager yeast", yet the instructions for primary and secondary fermentation were for 18c to 21c. The length of time specified was "Fermentation will be complete when bubbles cease to rise (usually after 8-12 days)."
I'm wondering whether it was a hybrid yeast as, I believe, is used in some Coopers kits.
The finished article certainly had a light, crisp lager-like body rather than the fruity full-body associated with ale.
I'll almost certainly do this kit again so I'll make a note of the yeast packet. I'll also contact Muntons for an answer and if one is received I'll print it here.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:47 pm

BITTER DAVE - Was it fermented with an ale yeast at ale temps or with a lager yeast at lager temps?

Hi Dave - have just received a useful and informative reply from Muntons:

Thanks for your enquiry, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the kit. The yeast used is actually a lager strain, but you are correct to point out the temperature range does not fit very well with traditional lager brewing practices. We have found that the yeast still works well in this higher temperature range, but if you are able to provide lower temperatures in future (12-15°C) then you should see an improved performance. The beer should be cleaner with greater cereal/grain notes. We often find that home brewers struggle to achieve the lower temperatures, so recommend those that fit the yeast and the home brewer as best as possible.

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Interesting stuff. In a way that would be useful info to put on the pack, but I guess they don't want to put people off buying it.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:39 pm

Good info to be out in the wild though.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:48 am

Does it not sound like marketing tosh to anyone else? Perhaps I am just a bit cynical.

"The lab made the kit work most reliably with an ale yeast, nobody normally notices, well done."
Imo might be closer to the mark.

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:55 am

Not sure if it was here, but I read a toucan (two mismatched cans) link, which had some really good ideas.

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:33 pm

MashBag wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:48 am

"The lab made the kit work most reliably with an ale yeast, nobody normally notices, well done."
As the person who drank the 40 pints I can reliably say it tasted like a lager and had a lager-like body. Please read my second post where I wrote: "The finished article certainly had a light, crisp lager-like body rather than the fruity full-body associated with ale."

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:23 am

"It tasted like lager and had a lager like body" !!!!! Well that's a first. A lager with body and taste :D
No chance of it selling well at football matches then.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MashBag

Post by MashBag » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:15 am

cwrw gwent wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:33 pm
MashBag wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:48 am

As the person who drank the 40 pints I can reliably say it tasted like a lager and had a lager-like body. Please read my second post where I wrote: "The finished article certainly had a light, crisp lager-like body rather than the fruity full-body associated with ale."
I am sure it did, was never doubting its success.

I would think there are some very blurred lines in yeast heritage & performance at 19c. Just saying I struggle to trust/belive commercial companies more and more.

I have thought of running a summer ale with a warm performing lager yeast like Saflager W-34/70

But then I get into thinking..... What am I gaining?

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:48 pm

I've recently ordered two more of these kits and started one today. The yeast packet merely states "Lager yeast 6g" followed by a number.
Attachments
Muntons Gold Continental Pils yeast.jpg
Muntons Gold Continental Pils yeast.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 4639 times

cwrw gwent

Post by cwrw gwent » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:09 pm

I bought two more of these kits last March, made one immediately and was very pleased with the results. In October, I happened to look on the underside of the remaining kit (two cans) to discover the recommended use by date was August 2023. So, I started the brew straightaway and brewed it to 22 litres for 17 days at 15/17C before bottling on 14th November. One thing I noticed was that the wort was much darker than I expected and assumed this was due to the age of the tins' contents.
Not surprisingly the result after bottling was quite dark - almost like a bitter. It tastes OK, but you wouldn't mistake it for a standard lager. Possibly, it's more like a Vienna lager (eg Dos Equis Ambar) though I haven't drunk enough of this style to make a considered opinion.
The photo shows the last bottle of the pilsner brewed in March (left) and the most recent brew (right).
Attachments
Muntons GOLD Continental Pilsner 02.jpg
Muntons GOLD Continental Pilsner 02.jpg (973.15 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

bitter_dave

Post by bitter_dave » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:54 am

Blimey, that is so much darker! I made an out of date Old English Bitter from that range and it was dark, but nothing to compare it against so don't know how it compares with the same kit made earlier. It is darker than your beer, otherwise I might be inclined to think you were accidentally given the bitter kit!