A Bushel of Hops

A pre-moderated forum where suppliers can advertise their business. Please start a new topic for each entry. YOUR POST WILL NOT BE VISIBLE UNTIL A MODERATOR APPROVES IT.
scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

A Bushel of Hops

Post by scuppeteer » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:59 am

Just wanted to big up my friends new venture. They have been growing hops for decades and have decided they want to supply us home brewers directly.

Not many varieties available yet, but this will expand over the next few years. They are really interested in heritage varieties, so it won't be long before you'll be able to get hops from them that you can't get anywhere else. Have a look at the news section as well, this is the only Oast of its kind in the country, if not the world!

Check out their website.

http://abushelofhops.co.uk/

Cheers
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: A Bushel of Hops

Post by seymour » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:52 am

scuppeteer wrote:Just wanted to big up my friends new venture. They have been growing hops for decades and have decided they want to supply us home brewers directly.

Not many varieties available yet, but this will expand over the next few years. They are really interested in heritage varieties, so it won't be long before you'll be able to get hops from them that you can't get anywhere else. Have a look at the news section as well, this is the only Oast of its kind in the country, if not the world!

Check out their website.

http://abushelofhops.co.uk/

Cheers
Extremely cool, thanks for sharing Scupps. I've bookmarked that and look forward to following their expanded lineup. Cheers!

Jim
Site Admin

Re: A Bushel of Hops

Post by Jim » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:21 pm

A while ago, Dorothy from A Bushel of Hops was kind enough to send me a sample of traditional charcoal-dried Cascade.

In order to get more than one opinion, I used half in my (almost) Jim's ESB for the brewalong and gave half to Normski who sent me this to post for him (as supplier threads are locked).
Normski wrote:I got given some of their hops by Jim. I think he was given them to evaluate.
As they were cascade (which I’ve used loads) he thought I would be able to give an opinion on them.
I brewed a batch with Ekg for bittering and the Bushel of Hops UK Cascade at 15 & 5mins.
It’s a beer I have brewed many times and know well.
I can say that the Bushel of Hops were every bit as nice as the US Cascade Pellets I’ve been using the last few years.
I’d be very happy to make them my regular UK hop supplier.
I’m also looking forward to see what other varieties they have.
I will be keeping in touch with the Bushel of Hops and hope to get some of their 2016 crop.
Norm
I was also impressed by these hops. They condition of them out of the packet was superb, better than any other I've had (lack of debris, and mostly unbroken hop flowers) - great aroma coming off them as well, and they performed well in the brew.

I thought I could taste a slight dryness on the palate which I put down to the charcoal drying, but Norm didn't notice that at all, so maybe I either imagined it, or it was something else in the beer that caused it.

Anyway, highly recommended (and no, I didn't get paid for this review, other than a free pack of hops :) ).
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter