Any interest in a Cornwall Brewing Club? Donor brewery offer

A forum for Home Brew clubs to publicise themselves. Please start a new topic for each club and include your region in the thread title. Not intended for advertising meetings, which should go in the 'Events' forum.
fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Any interest in a Cornwall Brewing Club? Donor brewery offer

Post by fego » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Just a thought, but is there enough interest out there to formalise a brewing club in Cornwall?

After a few years holiday-homing in Cornwall whilst living in Kent, I'm moving down to live in Cornwall permanently this summer. Unlike my previous plan to open a Cornish micro brewery, this plan will involve me having a normal job which will keep brewing as just a hobby. I have a 1bbl set up that is too big for just me so I was thinking of what to do with it and came up with two options 1) sell it all and buy something smaller or 2) share it with someone else to get use of it. From that came the idea of using it as a brew club facility hence the topic asking if there's any interest in a Cornish club.

I'm not a club member anywhere and don't entirely know how they work on average. However, I had in mind one which isn't just a social forum with home brewed beer the theme, I have in mind a group that brews collaboratively and shares the beers amongst its members as well.

To make it work, the group would need a dedicated brewery which would need to be hosted somewhere where we could all get to on set days for brews and someone could get to to monitor ferments etc, so probably that means someone's property or spare workspace or more extreme, renting somewhere. There would be bills to pay (lekky, grain, hops, yeast, maintenance etc), but I would happily donate the equipment under the right circumstances which might be as simple as me just contributing less than other members in the running costs until I had recovered the sunk cost. This might be of interest to would be brewers who might not yet have the option to set up their own brewery or people who are curious but aren't informed enough to jump in alone.

Anyway, like I say, it's just a suggestion to see what appetite there might be out there for such a group so I'd welcome feedback. I do have plans to eventually go commercial still in a few years and it would be amazing if this group could be the platform for that, especially if it meant a few of us took that step together... but let's not get carried away just yet....
Tea is for mugs...

Belter

Re: Any interest in a Cornwall Brewing Club? Donor brewery o

Post by Belter » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:37 pm

Have only just seen this.

We have a Homebrew club. We meet on the last Friday of the month in Truro.

Next meet is 23/10. Let me know if you can make it.

Cheers

Lee

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi Lee. I sold the equipment in the end and bought a BM.

I didn't know you had a regular meet up so will try and join you. Can do this week mind. Please let us know details of the next one when sorted.

Cheers.
Tea is for mugs...

cosy101

Post by cosy101 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:54 pm

I have access to a 2 barrel plant looking forward like minded Brewers to split costs

Belter

Post by Belter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Cosy101,

It was me (Leroi) you were speaking to on Facebook last night. I spoke to a few of the guys from the group and they seem up for it.

monkeyspearfish
Sober

Re: Any interest in a Cornwall Brewing Club? Donor brewery offer

Post by monkeyspearfish » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:55 am

I know this is an old thread, but are there any meetups/brewing clubs in Cornwall? I'm moving down in a month to West Cornwall (a month in St Agnes, then probably Falmouth) and would be great to have some brewing buddies to share resources, experience, and ideads. I have a 50L kettle and separate mashtun, and I'll be buying a dedicated burner when I'm down there (until now I've been using a stove top but it's difficult getting 30+ litres to a rolling boil). I love all style of beer but particularly big porters, malty lagers, and amber ales. Get in touch if you fancy a chat over a pint somewhere.