Ipswich/Suffolk Brewing Club

A forum for Home Brew clubs to publicise themselves. Please start a new topic for each club and include your region in the thread title. Not intended for advertising meetings, which should go in the 'Events' forum.
nickjdavis

Ipswich/Suffolk Brewing Club

Post by nickjdavis » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi,

My names Nick and I'm a keen all grain brewer based in Ipswich.

I would like to take this opportunity to raise awareness of other brewers in the Suffolk region of local brewing clubs in the region and specifically about a relatively new group based in/around Ipswich.

The main overriding group in East Anglia are the Anglian Craft Brewers, an organisation that covers Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex. The ACB meets on the first Saturday of every month and meetings rotate around the three geographical regions... so each region effectively has a Saturday meeting every 3rd month. Usual centres are Norwich, Ipswich and Colchester though occasionally a meeting will be held outside one of these towns.... todays Suffolk meeting was held in Needham Market for example. Meetings usually are agenda driven but, like Ronnie Corbett jokes, often divert from the main subject before returning in a roundabout way eventually to get back on topic. At each meeting there is a light hearted competition where we judge and rate each others beers to a specific style. Brewers are also encouraged to bring "other" beers for general sampling and informal feedback.

The main focus of the group though is to actively encourage each other and new brewers and is a fantastic resource of information and advice, current members have a huge raft of experience from people who have been brewing on an amateur level since the 1960s to professional brewers and folks who are just starting out. Doesn't matter if you brew kits, extract or all grain.... everyone is welcome.

More information about the ACB can be found at...http://groupspaces.com/AnglianCraftBrewers and at https://www.facebook.com/groups/craftsh ... ?ref=br_tf

As well as the monthly ACB meetings, each region has its own midweek club that helps bridge the gap between the times when the main ACB meeting rotates back to your location.

Norfolk and Essex have got well established midweek clubs but Suffolk has only recently launched a midweek club in the last three or four months. The aims are broadly similar to the main ACB group.... promoting home brewing and helping new brewers develop their knowledge... several of the folks who attend the "main" ACB meetings also join in the midweek meetings.

The Ipswich Brewing Club (for that is what we called the Suffolk midweek club) generally meet on a midweek evening at a variety of venues such as the Burbank Brewery and the Dove Street inn and we are always considering new venues with the view to increasing numbers and making it more attractive to people who are busy to attend.

Meetings of the IBC are usually published on both the ACB groupspaces site and on the IBC's fledgling Facebook page ..https://www.facebook.com/groups/ipswichbrewclub/

Anyone in the Ipswich and Suffolk areas who would be interested in attending club meetings and generally exchanging views and experience (not to mention reasonably copious amounts of beer) is totally welcome to join us... were a friendly bunch who just want to make and enjoy good beer.

Anyone who is interested is welcome to join any of the groups at the sites listed above and are equally welcome to contact myself (I'm assuming we have a messaging function here!!!) if they have any further questions.

Thanks for reading, Nick.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Ipswich/Suffolk Brewing Club

Post by Cobnut » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Just replying to get this back up the list.

Meetings of Ipswich Brewing Club now in regular monthly slot - 1st Wednesday of every month Upstairs in the Thomas Wolsey in St. Peter's St. Ipswich from 7.30pm approx.

Bring some beer, wine, etc. to share and enjoy!

James

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:25 am

Don't forget Cambridge is also a regional member of ACB. They meet at The Maypole every quarter.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

RichB
Sober

Post by RichB » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:22 pm

James - just checking - will the Ipswich Brewing Club therefore be meeting at the Thomas Wolsey next Wednesday 6 Feb? I'm a home brewer in Ipswich and would like the chance to meet some kindred spirits.

Richard

[quote=Cobnut post_id=838772 time=1541593745 user_id=19174]

Meetings of Ipswich Brewing Club now in regular monthly slot - 1st Wednesday of every month Upstairs in the Thomas Wolsey in St. Peter's St. Ipswich from 7.30pm approx.

James
[/quote]

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:04 pm

RichB wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:22 pm
James - just checking - will the Ipswich Brewing Club therefore be meeting at the Thomas Wolsey next Wednesday 6 Feb? I'm a home brewer in Ipswich and would like the chance to meet some kindred spirits.

Richard
Cobnut wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:29 pm

James
Richard,
we've moved our meetings back a week, but same time and same place. Next meeting will be Wednesday 13th Feb.
Hope to see you there!
James
Fermenting: Sunshine Marmalade
Conditioning: Festbier, Helles Bock
Drinking: Smoky, lager beer, Irish Export Stout, Hazelweiss 2023:2, Cascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, and more!

RichB
Sober

Post by RichB » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:31 am

James - thank you - I look forward to meeting you next Wednesday - Richard

RichB
Sober

Post by RichB » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 am

[quote=Cobnut post_id=841125 time=1549278257 user_id=19174]
[quote=RichB post_id=841056 time=1549041776 user_id=20522]

Richard

[quote=Cobnut post_id=838772 time=1541593745 user_id=19174]

James
[/quote]
[/quote]

Richard,
we've moved our meetings back a week, but same time and same place. Next meeting will be Wednesday 13th Feb.
Hope to see you there!
James
[/quote]

James - will be at the football on Wednesday but will drop in on the way back if you're still there

Richard

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:01 am

Rich, unfortunately I can’t make it this month - work - but the guys are usually there til after 10. Probably won’t be much beer left, but the Tom W sells plenty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drinking: Smoky, lager beer, Irish Export Stout, Hazelweiss 2023:2, Cascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)

RichB
Sober

Post by RichB » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:03 am

Hi,

I wasn’t able to make my first visit to the Ipswich Brew Club in February at short notice - will the next meeting be on 16 March.

Thanks Rich

[quote=Cobnut post_id=841255 time=1549789286 user_id=19174]
Rich, unfortunately I can’t make it this month - work - but the guys are usually there til after 10. Probably won’t be much beer left, but the Tom W sells plenty!

[/quote]

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:05 am

13th March 7.30

RichB
Sober

Post by RichB » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 am

Yes 13 of course - got the date wrong. Thanks Rich

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 am

Oh and this month is our “low ABV challenge” judging. Max 2.8% any style. If you have something feel free to bring it along. Or just judge everyone else’s.

Other beers welcome too!

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Ipswich/Suffolk Brewing Club May meeting

Post by Cobnut » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:47 pm

Next monthly meeting will be:

7.30pm Wednesday 8th May
Upstairs room
Thomas Wolsey,
St. Peter's St.
Ipswich.

All welcome, especially if you bring beer!